Nerite Snails in Freshwater

JRunyon21

The LFS near me has Nerite snails on hand but keeps them in saltwater. Will I be able to take the snails from the LFS saltwater tank and put them in my freshwater tank?

If so, is there an assimilation process?

If not, where do I get freshwater versions of nerite snails?

jclee

I know that "freshwater" nerites are really just saltwater nerites that have been acclimated, and from what I know, it's a slow and difficult acclimation process, but I've never done it before. You'd probably be better off looking online for freshwater nerites, or seeing if the lfs where you saw those could order some already-acclimated nerites for you.

vitz

I know that "freshwater" nerites are really just saltwater nerites that have been acclimated, and from what I know, it's a slow and difficult acclimation process, but I've never done it before. You'd probably be better off looking online for freshwater nerites, or seeing if the lfs where you saw those could order some already-acclimated nerites for you.

actually, this is incorrect

Neritina natalensis and Vittina coromandeliana are two species of freshwater nerites

"The African species Neritina natalensis and the Indo-Pacific species Vittina coromandeliana are probably the most widely traded species in the UK. Both have smooth, yellow-brown to reddish-brown shells marked with radial dark bands, hence their collective common name, Zebra Nerites. Maximum shell width is around 15 mm. They are both freshwater snails with a high tolerance for brackish water, and while they will lay eggs in freshwater aquaria, the larvae need brackish or saltwater conditions to develop. Zebra Nerites do well in both freshwater aquaria or slightly brackish aquaria around SG 1.005."

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nanoist
20 Gallon Tank Baby Snail in freshwater
  • Caterpie
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Ellebrius
Replies
Views