Nerite Snails For 29 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by RileyMocha, Apr 25, 2019.

1. RileyMochaNew MemberMember

i am thinking about adding a couple of Nerite snails to my 29 gallon tank, but I first wanted to hear about your guys experiences with them.

I’ve never owned a snail before and I’m slightly worried they’ll escape the tank. I have two HOB filters so the lid has two gaps to accommodate those.

I also know they need calcium. Do you guys use cuttlebone or eggshells? If you use eggshells do you grind them up or just drop larger pieces into the tank? Is there ever a time when I wouldn’t need to add calcium?

Any advice or personal experiences you guys can share about Nerites would be great!

2. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Hey there! Before you get a nerite, do you have enough algae in your tank to sustain them? I've heard way too many horror stories of nerites that are too picky to eat anything but pure algae. Also, they lay eggs EVERYWHERE and they are really hard to get off.

Personally, I recommend mystery snails more. They have more personality, lay eggs in clutches above water that can be easily removed (as opposed to singular eggs everywhere all over the tank), and they eat just about anything. They're super cool. The only problem is, they are bigger and they require a varied diet. It's all up to personal preference.

I use cuttlebone, which comes in two massive chunks for about $1 total at the pet store. Peeling egg shells is just more tedious.

Snails are so cool!! You'll love having them!

Edit: Oh yeah, I've never personally had any issues with escapees, and part of my lid is open, too.

3. toekneeWell Known MemberMember

I've had 5 nerite snails in my 55 for 5 months without a lid and they're all still in the tank. As long as you have a tank they want to be in (good parameters and plenty of food) they should stay in. Typically if you have hard water you shouldn't have to worry about adding calcium, I've heard of some people saying they lay little white eggs everywhere but I've yet to see very much of that in my tank.

4. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Nerites are the only "fancy" snails I can keep alive for more than a couple years. I never have to feed specific foods to them as there seems to be enough biofilm/algae in the average planted tank. They do lay eggs, but only the females (yes these guys have specific genders). I've since separated all my snails (1m and 2f) and it seems the females have drastically reduced the amount of eggs produced since they've stopped breeding with the male.

Keep a tight lid on their tank as I've had nerites climb out more than once. They do poo a lot when there's a lot of food but it's not a big deal. They can't reproduce in fresh water so you don't have to worry about babies.

Basically, I love my nerites and would recommend them to anyone. Mysteries are more high maintenance IMO and easily starve to death if not fed their own foods. Plus they need more protein than the average snail. For the life of me I can't keep them alive for more than a year. Nerites on the other hand do well for a good number of years for me.

5. FishMommerValued MemberMember

No experience with Mystery. Had trumpets wayyyyy back when I was a little girl. We never bought aquatic plants again. ;p

Have 1 Zebra Nerite in a 16 g. Have to leave the blinds up at times to grow some algae for it. ;) It cleans Everything! No escapes yet. Only have had it since Nov. It did get close to entering the filter once. There are eggs around. Not sure that it matters about having the male. I think she lays eggs regardless?

Now we have another in a 20g and considering one more - Horned Nerite. Much smaller. So far so good. He buries himself though, so harder to see at times. Only been with us 1 week?

Initially had No cuttlebone - til the Zebra gave us a scare once and I panicked. Since then we have small broken pieces of it in both tanks. I have never seen either eating the cuttlebone? But they must be eating all else, because they have both been managing even with little algae at times. :) Hope that all helps.

I do think it would be fun to have a Mystery snail sooner or later. ;)

6. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

7. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

I have 2 nerites in my 29 gal with a plate glass top 1 inch gaps between filter and front.. no escapee's yet. As Toeknee said they must like where they are!
    They will nosh on blanched zucchini and like algae wafers. I have madrone (arbutus) branches in the tank and they seem to spend a lot of time on them. Nerite.jpg

8. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

I never have less than 4 Nerites in anything less than a 55 gal. In my old 55, I had about 12 heh

9. AquadisiacNew MemberMember

I had a single nerite for about two years. I never had any issues with eggs anywhere. I had about 1/4” opening on either side of my HOB and never had an escapee snail. I scraped the algae off the “display” sides of the tank and left it on the others. I loved mine and will definitely keep them again. They are so entertaining. Sometimes I’d be doing something else and notice it booking it across the glass! Never knew they could move so quickly (for a snail).

Edit: I have high KH and GH so I never had to supplement calcium for shell.

10. Sergeant PepperWell Known MemberMember

I have had the same single Nerite Snail in my 60 for about 2 years. He's a trooper. I should get more, I just haven't. They are great!

11. JnettieNew MemberMember

How do you sex Nerites?

12. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Tiger's blood look the coolest IMO...I love snails is my problem heh

13. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

No idea, all I know is the one actively pursuing others is male as he's trying to do the deed. You'll just have to watch them carefully to see who's what.

14. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I had a few that were literally "stuck" to each other. Usually a sure indication lol...

15. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I had 6 in a 29 with an open top and all good. There now in a 45 open top and still good 2+years old. Also have mts in tank. Yes I also like snails. But not the mystery. It’s just too big. Nothing bigger than a nerite. My zebra and red racer :). 33AD5561-0F61-422A-AB8B-2C272FFF04D0.jpeg332FCABE-9D78-48D9-A7FB-D027EEEBDB48.jpeg

16. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

17. JnettieNew MemberMember

Wow! Your red racer is beautiful!!

18. RileyMochaNew MemberMember

Wow! Thank you to everyone who replied! I’m definitely going to get one or two Nerites in a couple of days!