nerite snails eggs

Discussion in 'Snails' started by potatos, Apr 3, 2010.

1. p

potatos Valued Member Member

quick question. Will a single nerite snail still lay eggs? i heard they are hermaphrodites, so i was wondering. thanks

2. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I'm not 100% sure on that. But it wouldnt surprise me if the snail was mated in the store and then someone brought it home and it laied eggs. So its possible but I dont think they are Asexual reproducers. Someone else would know more on Nerite snails then me. I havend had the plesure of keeping them yet.

3. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

Most Nerite snails will lay eggs in freshwater tanks, though not viable, they appear as white spots.

4. OP
    OP
    p

thanks, i was wondering about them breeding in the store. but after a while, the result from the breeding should run out right? rainman, is that when kept with other snails or alone?i only bought one bc i diddnt want eggs

5. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

It may still lay blank eggs.

6. CHoffman

CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I have a single nerite and it continually lays eggs. They look like sesome seeds. Even if there were two snails they don't hatch unless kept in brackish water. So no worries about babies if they are in fresh water.

7. OP
    OP
    p

oh thats unfortunate. i dont want sesamie seeds everywhere! i would be happy if they would hatch into new snails, but them just sitting there will bug me. i guess if that starts to happen i will move it into my grow out tank with the other one (i got one for each tank) and periodicly move it back in when i get green spot algae (if the SAE im going to get wont eat it...will it?)

thanks for clearing that up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice