Nerite snails. Do they frequently go out of the water?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Junne, Jan 7, 2013.

?

Do your Nerite snails leave the water frequently?

1. No, I've never seen them out of the water!

11.1%
  2. All the time!

44.4%
  3. Once in awhile they go above the water line.

44.4%
  1. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Just curious because a few people had commented that my Nerites should not be leaving the water so frequently ( every night ) unless there's something wrong with the water ( there isn't that I know of )
    So I want to know, who else's Nerite frequently go out of the water and stay that way for periods of time? Also, mine seem to like hiding in my hob filter as well....

2. mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

I don't think it's uncommon, personally. A lot of people might not have a setup that allows them the ability to be above any form of a water line or to enter a filter. I know in my tanks the water is roughly a centimeter from the top bezel and I run canisters. The fact that your snails do this primarily at night makes me think it's become something of a habit and not because of anything harmful.

If it were due to bad water I think you would see this happening quite a bit more often. :)

3. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Mine don't really leave the water, it seems more like every couple days I'll see one reach the water line, go out a little more and then turn around and go back down, I've never seen them hanging out above it or anything.

4. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Well whats funny is that I talked with the lfs where I got them from and NONE of their Nerites ( there's about 100 in the tank ) go above the water line - they have theirs in a 30 gallon ( I think ) hex with NO lid!!!!
    I find that funny because if I didn't have my tank covered in saran wrap and tightly sealed, I would have all 4 of them on the floor by morning!
    I just think there must be a reason they are trying to escape all the time!!!

Then of course, the other times ( like during the day ) they sit on the zucchini most of the day. Come nightfall, back up at the top of the tank! WEIRD!

5. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Oops, please disregard my vote! I don't know how to take it back. I accidentally clicked on this. I actually have no idea, since I do not have any experience with nerites yet.

6. slimeneoValued MemberMember

I have 2, and one of them hangs out on top more but never escapes or anything. I leave the lid off during the day because I use lamps for light. Sometimes they crawl onto the lid and I find them the next day chilling out there. But very rarely.

7. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Mine do it every now and again bazz has been hanging at the top of the edge all day

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357762476.135316.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357762529.624768.jpg
    Silly snail ;)

8. FeatherfinValued MemberMember

I'm not sure about nerites, but my mystery snails are constantly taking little adventures... the tank they're in is on my desk and has a huge hole in the lid and every couple days I'll find a couple on my desk or sometimes they even make it across my desk and onto the floor. There's nothing wrong with the water so I don't know what they think they're doing.

9. JunneFishlore LegendMember

It sounds like your snails are looking for a place to lay their eggs! They typically go out of the water ( Mystery snails ) to do this. Sounds like you need to cover up those holes for their safety and lower your water line.

10. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Also, its my understanding they breath air so I'd be concerned if they weren't making trips up to the waterline. Mystery snails , that is.

11. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

They do breathe air, so they'll frequently hang out at the very surface. Sometimes they're more out of the water than others. And of course they sometimes venture into HOB filters (though if you saw my recent thread, they don't always come back out :(). I have six nerites (seven before the one got lost in the filter) and mine frequently hang out at the very surface, sometimes completely out of the water.

12. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Matt was referring to Mystery snails since Feather mentioned hers always getting out :)

13. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Woops :p Well nerites breathe air too ;)

14. FeatherfinValued MemberMember

Oh!! That's awesome! I'll definitely do that then... I'll saran wrap it up :)

15. beginnerValued MemberMember

my nerites hang out above the waterline a lot too. I kinda thought it had something to do with the algae or proteins on top. I don't know

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice