Nerite Snails Crawling out of tank

Discussion in 'Snails' started by ClearEyes, Jul 30, 2015.

1. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I've been having brown algae problems, so at the advice of many on this site, I finally got a handful of nerite snails. (they've been working wonders already, in the scant few hours I've had them)

At the store, the sign around the snail tank read "May crawl out of tank....keep the top covered."

I have a secure hood, but there are some cutouts in back for my HOB and my heater, with some clearance on either side. How concerned should I be about them escaping to their deaths? There is a good half inch of non-water space at the top of the tank between them and "freedom" (along with about another half-inch of horizontal plastic ridge).

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

My nerites only tried to escape when I had a mini cycle and the water was unstable, now that I'm cycled again nobody tries to leave the tank at all. I do have a couple that like to sleep out of the water though, just leave a little gap (an inch or so will do) above the water in case yours do the same thing. I doubt it will be a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

I never had mine try to escape (I have a lid), but I also rarely ever see them above the water line. I hear that you can take some Vaseline and put that on the ridge of the glass and they apparently won't go past that line. However I would try Bijou88's idea first just in case Vaseline is harmful to an aquarium, which I don't think it is.

4. OP
    OP
    ClearEyes

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to personally not do the Vaseline, because I'm also worried about what it would do to the water. Especially because even if I kept the Vaseline above the water line, I'm pretty tall, so I have long, big arms, so if I had to reach in to adjust an ornament near the bottom or something, I'd be afraid the water displacement would raise the water up to Vaseline-level.

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Mine have escaped several times despite closing all of the obvious openings and such. I have a small 1/2 inch gap on my top lid ( where the HOB sits ) and its just enough for the Tigers and Zebra's to get out. I have had them for 4 years now and only 1 out of the bunch has actually died ( probably out of the water too long as it had been at least a week before I found it behind my tank )
    My cats usually let me know when they find one on the floor though......

Oddly enough, I have probably about 25 or more of the horned nerites and they have NEVER tried to escape ( they are all pea-sized )
    I've come to the conclusion that only the Zebras and Tigers try and escape for some reason....... ?????

Just keep a close eye on the openings and do a body count ( if you can ) every few days. They can survive out of the water for at least 5 days that I know of.

6. Bijou88

^same here, my horned nerites never go anywhere near the top even, lol. My zebra and one of the tigers are the ones who leave the water.

7. Junne

I've always wondered why that is! When I am doing my water change, all of the horned nerites almost immediately "fall" back in to the water if they are uncovered for even a few minutes! The Zebra's and Tiger's make it a point every few days to hang upside down on my glass lid - being out of the water sometimes for a few days!!!!! WEIRD!

8. Bijou88

Me too, lol, my two horned ones barely make it half way up usually, my zebra (sometimes joined my his tiger girlfriend) spends the entire day out of the water wedged under the rim of the tank sometimes, it's really very odd! :what:

9. OP
    OP
    ClearEyes

Oh no! All I have are tigers and zebras! Just 2 of each so far...I'll be watching them like a hawk from now on, I guess!

10. Junne

They are very naughty snails :mad:
    I don't trust mine for a second!

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using the forum runner app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice