Nerite snails and pH

annewaldron

Silly me didn't learn more about nerite snail requirements before purchasing, and I realized after I got home that the new LFS employee didn't know much about much which explains why she didn't bat an eye or ask questions about my tank. my pH is around 7.6, not the higher level that snails prefer (although my MTS snails appear to be doing fine).

Should I return them?

kinezumi89

No need to. As long as the pH is well above 6.0 - at which point the snails' shells start deteriorating - you're fine. What's more important though is GH and KH, as snails need calcium to grow larger shells. Do you have tests for these? It won't be a sure-fire way to make sure you're in the clear, as (I believe) KH tests for calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate...well, it tests for things other than just calcium, I know that. But if it's high, you can be fairly confident that you have enough calcium for your snails. If not, you can always add things like crushed eggshell (keep in a pouch in your filter housing) to increase the calcium in the water.

annewaldron

My KH is actually quite low (3-4 degrees) and GH is 8-9. Even with my KH where it is, my pH has remained in the 7.4-7.6 range.

I put a piece of cuttlebone in the tank, but need to consider sticking it in the filter basket, as not a whole lot has changed in the 2 weeks since adding it.

kinezumi89

How big is your tank? There's a chance you may simply need more.

annewaldron

How big is your tank? There's a chance you may simply need more.

30 gallon. I just have about a 1/3 of a large size cuttlebone in there. And it's partially wedged under a rock. Probably not ideal placement. I just wasn't sure how long these things take for results, especially with cuttlebone.

kinezumi89

I would try putting it in your filter housing first before making any other changes. But personally, it sounds like your calcium levels are probably high enough to support a single nerite snail.

annewaldron

I have 3 )

kinezumi89

Oops! You did say "them" in your first post, didn't you. Either way, your numbers are not drastic (IE really low KH/GH, pH at or near 6.0) so I wouldn't be concerned, but you could try to raise your pH/KH/GH naturally if you wish, with eggshells/cuttlebone/seashells, etc.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom