Question Nerite Snail

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have put a couple Nerite snails in my shrimp tank as well as my community tank. I do enjoy them and I think they add to the tank, however I know nothing about them, they seem to be growing and move around a bit. My questions are how long will they live? How big will they get? I find them digging in the substrate, how deep will they dig down? And is this normal behavior to dig in?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nerite snails eat algae and biofilm, but they do occasionally eat plant based foods too. Size depends largely on the variety, but dime sized is a reasonable expectation. They generally live 1 to 2 years. If they're digging, they may be hunting for food. Try dropping an algae tablet in to the tank and observe their response.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They mostly ignore algae tabs, fine size heck mine are nickel or better already. Thanks.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I never had luck with algae tabs. But snello made with plain gelatin and spirulina powder seems to get their motor running.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As I have said I don’t think they are not eating considering the size. Thanks all for the info.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have nerites creeping up on 4 years that I've had them. Most of them nickel size or larger only one is smaller than the rest. I've never really done anything special for them for food but all my tanks are naturally scaped with plants, rocks and driftwood. They do well with shrimp, fish and even assassin snails, when I had my mystery snails they would play king of the castle and lay eggs upon the mystery shells.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have nerites creeping up on 4 years that I've had them. Most of them nickel size or larger only one is smaller than the rest. I've never really done anything special for them for food but all my tanks are naturally scaped with plants, rocks and driftwood. They do well with shrimp, fish and even assassin snails, when I had my mystery snails they would play king of the castle and lay eggs upon the mystery shells.
Interesting point. I’ve often wondered if nerites are immune to assassins die to the thickness of their shell?

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting point. I’ve often wondered if nerites are immune to assassins die to the thickness of their shell?
I don't know that they are completely bulletproof from them. I lost one in a tank with assassins and it was a completely cleaned shell the next morning after being visually fine the day prior... Either they managed to get it or it kicked off naturally and then the assassins cleaned up. But the rest have been fine with them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom