Nerite Snail With Broken Shell

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Whenever I have any snails that have damaged shells I like to put them into their own little qt tank just so I know they're not going to get picked on (or picked at) by anyone else. Giving him calcium will help speed up regrowth- I've heard some people use tums but I just use cuttle bones.

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Whenever I have any snails that have damaged shells I like to put them into their own little qt tank just so I know they're not going to get picked on (or picked at) by anyone else. Giving him calcium will help speed up regrowth- I've heard some people use tums but I just use cuttle bones.
Cuttlebone? Like the thing for birds? All my fish ignore the snails. So that's good. Do I just throw the cuttlebone in the tank? I don't have another tank with a filter and a lid to put him in to quarantine him

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yep the thing for birds, just break off a piece and put it in- preferably with the hard part on the bottom. It may raise your kH a bit if you put in a whole thing and leave it there which is another reason I like to do it in another container. It should be fine to do it in the main tank as long as you keep an eye on it though. It may also cloud up your water a little bit after a while but you can just take it back out, let it dry again, then put it back.

You could also make snello if you want to give all your snails a snack and a calcium boost.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cuttlebone? Like the thing for birds? All my fish ignore the snails. So that's good. Do I just throw the cuttlebone in the tank? I don't have another tank with a filter and a lid to put him in to quarantine him
A small chunk of cuttlebone in your filter will disperse some traces od calcium into the water for your snails. But it may change your parameters a bit. PH i believe. May want to research it before dropping some in.

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yep the thing for birds, just break off a piece and put it in- preferably with the hard part on the bottom. It may raise your kH a bit if you put in a whole thing and leave it there which is another reason I like to do it in another container. It should be fine to do it in the main tank as long as you keep an eye on it though. It may also cloud up your water a little bit after a while but you can just take it back out, let it dry again, then put it back.

You could also make snello if you want to give all your snails a snack and a calcium boost.
Lol snello. I have never heard of it but I will look into that too. My snails munch on the veggies I leave for everyone

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
A small chunk of cuttlebone in your filter will disperse some traces od calcium into the water for your snails. But it may change your parameters a bit. PH i believe. May want to research it before dropping some in.
I have a tank without a top and filter, can I keep him in there without a filter? I can just put something on top so he doesn't crawl out.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If he likes his veggies that the best calcium you can get clean water is essential to stop infection, how did the injury occur

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
If he likes his veggies that the best calcium you can get clean water is essential to stop infection, how did the injury occur
I don't know my dad brought him home like that. He bought me 4. The smallest one died. But the other 3 are fine, being cute and doing snail things.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never seen an injury as bad as that you can only do your best with this little critter on the advise given. Keep in touch I'd like to know how it goes and come back with any questions

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom