Nerite Snail White Spot On Tip Of Shell?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by jfer76, Apr 17, 2017.

1. jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

First post, sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything... My nerite snail, Nero, has formed this white spot at the tip of her shell. What is it? I keep a piece of cuttlebone in the tank for her. Thanks for any help! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Don't worry. Normal. All of mine have that.

3. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

Mine do as well never gave it thought.

4. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

The enamel protecting the shell has been lost, probably from mechanical damage.

The shell (and therefore the snail) lasts longer when it is fully protected. I have one which is 11 years old pictured here.

16.07.02 Zebra Nerite Snail Neritina natalensis Large Hex Aquarium Steve Joul - Copy.JPG

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  5. Bettanewb

Actually make that only 1 of my 3 have that I just checked for my own curiosity.

6. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

An 11, ELEVEN year old Nerite? You should call Guiness! I think the oldest on record is 2. Yours has this beat by a mile.

7. Bettanewb

Wow I didn't see that 11 that's crazy :D

8. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

Can this hurt her? I'm not sure how this would have happened... Is there anything I should do for it?

9. OP
    OP
    jfer76

jfer76 New Member Member

Thank you. I'm glad it is nothing to worry about. She didn't have it when I got her, so I wanted to be sure.

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice