Nerite snail/tank care questions

SingingFish

Hi!
I am new to caring for nerites. Mine have been in my two 10 gallon tanks for about a month.

One tank has two very active, moving snails, but there shells have some damage. They seem unaffected and I’ve out in Wonder Shells to help with calcium. My question is HOW OFTEN do I put in a fresh Wonder Shell? I put one in last Saturday and it has fully dissolved in this tank (not in the other one).

My second tank has one larger nerite who seems to have issues. He barely moves at all - often sitting still for more than a day - but when he does move he inevitably ends up on his back. I literally watched him start to slowly climb and eat film on the glass once (the first and only time) and then he simply started to peal off and fall. It’s almost as if he doesn’t know how stay attached. Then he didn’t move for 2 days after I flipped him. I checked to make sure he was alive and put him back on his seemingly preferred place. Over night, he moved again, but I found him under the ship on his back yet again. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Madeline Peterson

I'm not sure about the snail that keeps ending up on it's back, but I'd add cuttlebone to the tank instead of using whatever a wondershell is. I use cuttlebone for my snails, and their shells are great. The fish gnaw on the cuttlebone when they're low on calcium, and it doesn't dissolve.

Upvote 0

SingingFish

great to know! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SingingFish
Replies
Views
WendiWoo