Nerite snail struggling to stay upright

MrLeftCoast

I bought 12 nerite snails for my 10gal which has been cycled. Current water readings are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10ppm nitrate. I've had these snails for about a month now. I know when they fall off the glass they are able to quickly flip themselves over and continue on. Yesterday I noticed one snail on its back not able to flip itself over. I helped it out by physically putting it upright, but it flipped itself over on its back right away. I did this a few more times and it just kept instantly flipping itself over onto its back. I took it out of the tank and placed it in a plastic container with barely enough water just to keep it wet. The snail was able to stay upright and explore the container no problem. I left it in the container overnight to give it some time to recover from the fatigue. Today I placed it back in the tank and it just keeps flipping itself onto its back again. What can possibly cause this behavior? Almost like the pressure of deeper water is causing the struggle to stay upright. I feed the snails algae wafers and veggie wafers. Any insight is appreciated.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I have no idea about snails, but the snail might have a air bubble in its body.

StarGirl

Are they eating the algae/veggie wafers? Try a piece of a fresh veggie, like Zucchini or a spinach leaf. My nerites usually do not eat food I give them. Maybe this one is picky and may be starving. 12 Nerites in a 10g is a lot. They eat a lot.

MrLeftCoast

Are they eating the algae/veggie wafers? Try a piece of a fresh veggie, like Zucchini or a spinach leaf. My nerites usually do not eat food I give them. Maybe this one is picky and may be starving. 12 Nerites in a 10g is a lot. They eat a lot.
Yea they wipe it out overnight. lots of poop. I plan on transferring half of the snails to my 100gal tank to clean up some brown algae.

Seems the snail is doing much better now. I flipped it upright one more time and it finally stayed that way. It's moving around now. Hopefully it really was trapped air in the shell.

Thanks for the replies.

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore btw! :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bored411
  • Kaylee122499
  • Snails
Replies
Views
richiep