Nerite snail sitting at top of tank?

emmett1180
HI all

Is it normal for a Nerite snail to sit at the top of the tank half in and half out of the water beside the filter?

He and the golden apple snail used to be in my old 10G tank which had some algae in it, but since they are now in the new tank which has no algae, would this be the problem?

I put in cucumber and algae wafers to try and feed them, only the apple snail came to eat the algae wafer.

any ideas
The nerite is dark brown with nice zigzag stripes.

CHoffman
Yup it's normal for them to do this. Mine does it every once in awhile. Since there is no algae you do need to supplement their diet. Looks like your doing ok with that though. You said your tank was new?? Is it cycled?? If not that could be why he's trying to get out of the water.

pepetj
Mine do that too. I believe it's usual behavior for most snails. They love spirulina flakes and algae wafers!

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

emmett1180
CHoffman said:
Yup it's normal for them to do this. Mine does it every once in awhile. Since there is no algae you do need to supplement their diet. Looks like your doing ok with that though. You said your tank was new?? Is it cycled?? If not that could be why he's trying to get out of the water.
Yea the tank is cycled, I took my cycled filter from my 10G and added it to the new 40G tank, to help cycle the new filter.

Can I lift the snail and place him beside the algae wafer, otherwise he may never find it as he doesn't move very much?

Thanks for your reply

Latest threads

Top Bottom