Nerite Snail Shell Issues

FantasyFanVII

I've started noticing my nerite snails developing shell issue. It started with their shells almost appearing to lose the top layer, showing white shell underneath. They've sense degraded farther and one has a hole in its shell. I know snails can have trouble in soft water that's lacking in calcium, but that seems odd in my case. My water as always been obnoxiously hard, and none of my Malaysian trumpet, snails, bladder snails, or assorted shrimp appear to have any issues. The nerites also seem worse in one of my high tech tanks. I noticed a bit of white appearing on a snail in another tank, but not as bad. All my tanks are filled with tap water so they stay close to each other's parameters. Could my problems be due to something else, or are nerites just more demanding when it comes to calcium? If that's the case, is there a way to raise calcium levels without effecting my PH/Overall hardness too much? I really don't need harder water.

Worst tank's parameters
Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: ~20 PPM
GH: ~300 PPM
KH: Can't tell because my test strip's measuring chart tore, but I know it's high.
PH: 7.7
TDS: 250 PPM

Attachments

• 20201201_212345.jpg
    20201201_212345.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201201_212416.jpg
    20201201_212416.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 27

Ghelfaire

You can try adding a cuttlebone for them to munch on. Feeding spinach and kale might also help.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
peachsonas