Nerite snail reproduction

Discussion in 'Snails' started by jmoneyisback, Jul 25, 2015.

1. jmoneyisback

jmoneyisback Valued Member Member

I'm entertaining the idea of getting two nerites to help with the diatoms in my tank. It's a 29 gallon and that is what was suggested. I had to mystery snails that gave me tons of babies that I could not handle. I do not want that situation again. How likely are nerites to reproduce in that manner?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Nerites will lay eggs in freshwater but the larvae need brackish to survive so you won't get baby nerites

3. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

You won't have any snail population to worry about. As Coradee said, they will leave white eggs which don't hatch unless you put them in brackish water.

4. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Some cichlids are not good tank mates for the nerites. I don't have cichlids but I see you have a krib. Somebody will likely comment on this combination for you.

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I dont think kribs will eat snails. The only cichlids you'd really have to worry about eating snails would be African cichlids from the Rift Lakes, like mbuna, peacocks etc.

6. H

Humble Valued Member Member

Nerites will lay eggs all over the aquarium(rocks, plant leaves, etc). However, they will not hatch because they need brackish water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice