Nerite Snail questions

Erica0107

I am considering getting nerite snails, but I have a few questions first.

I have a really tall plant (new plant that is not in my profile pic) in my tank that gets really bad algae at the top. The leaves on it are quite small. Would a nerite (maybe a smaller horned nerite) be able to climb the plant to eat the algae?

I'm concerned about the eggs that they lay. I've read that they are difficult to remove. How much of a problem have you found their eggs to be?

How many snails should I get for a 29 gallon that doesn't get very much algae? I have almost no algae on the glass. I just get it on my rocks and on the previously mentioned tall plant.

My water is somewhat soft. Would I need to provide the snails with something to make sure they have enough calcium? If so, what?

TIA!

Kopeth

I'm not an expert on nerite snails but I think they don't spawn unless placed in salt/brackish type water..so for freshwater tanks; what you buy is what you get.

1-2 Adult snails should be a good cleaning crew for your tank.

Depending on the plant and the size of the snail, they might be able to get all the way to the top. My Malaysian trumpet snails go everywhere! Sometimes to my astonishment.

Erica0107

Thanks for the response Kopeth You're right that they don't spawn in freshwater, but apparently they will lay eggs anyways. The eggs just won't be viable.

v369

nerites will not spawn in fresh water they need brackish. the ones I have in my tanks tend to roam everywhere. unless the plant is some type of hair grass and very soft they should be able to make the top no problem. the horned ones are on the small side too. 2 or 3 sounds like a good numberm, I have 5 in my 75 gallon ad they do a decent job. :}

bassbonediva

I have one in my 55gal (zebra nerite) and he eats more algae than my BN pleco and oto combined.

Vash

I am considering getting nerite snails, but I have a few questions first.

I have a really tall plant (new plant that is not in my profile pic) in my tank that gets really bad algae at the top. The leaves on it are quite small. Would a nerite (maybe a smaller horned nerite) be able to climb the plant to eat the algae?

I'm concerned about the eggs that they lay. I've read that they are difficult to remove. How much of a problem have you found their eggs to be?

How many snails should I get for a 29 gallon that doesn't get very much algae? I have almost no algae on the glass. I just get it on my rocks and on the previously mentioned tall plant.

My water is somewhat soft. Would I need to provide the snails with something to make sure they have enough calcium? If so, what?

TIA!

I have Zebra Nerite snails since June.

They do sometimes get onto the plants I thought it would be impossible for them to climb. But not often. They aren't that good at cleaning the glass even though they tried. You still have to clean it yourself.

From my experience, they need supplement of fish food. Or they will starve.

As for their eggs, they laid them EVERYWHERE! Just as I read, it indeed happened in my tanks. I found white little eggs on the heater, driftwood, plants, rocks, tank walls, everywhere.
I haven't tried to remove any of them but I also heard it would be a pain to remove them. As far as I can see, none of them hatched. Some of them turned gray after over a month.

For a 29 gallon, 3~4 of them will be more than enough.

It would be better if you have hard water. My soft water is making my Zebra nerite losing their shell mass even though I tried to feed them with high calcium food.

Erica0107

nerites will not spawn in fresh water they need brackish. the ones I have in my tanks tend to roam everywhere. unless the plant is some type of hair grass and very soft they should be able to make the top no problem. the horned ones are on the small side too. 2 or 3 sounds like a good numberm, I have 5 in my 75 gallon ad they do a decent job. :}

I have one in my 55gal (zebra nerite) and he eats more algae than my BN pleco and oto combined.

Have either of you had problems with eggs?

CHoffman

I had them in my 55 gallon tank. They do spawn in freshwater and will leave eggs everywhere..lol. They will not hatch unless in brackish though. A credit card or other hard plastic edges will take them off easily. It's a pain but worth it because it's just eggs and not a million baby snails that you have to deal with.

bassbonediva

Have either of you had problems with eggs?

Since I only have one, no. With a single one, I don't think they get stimulated to lay eggs. With more than one, yes. Just like most fish won't become gravid if there isn't a male present or they aren't conditioned for it (for example...my two female bettas in my 55gal...they were nice and slI'm until I floated the cup with my new male HMDTPK in it in their tank...now they're BOTH full of eggs!).

Erica0107

If I got one tiger and one horned, would they not lay eggs since they're different types?

bassbonediva

They're just color/shell variants, so I think they'd probably lay eggs.

Erica0107

Based on some quick googling I think the horned is a different species than tiger or zebra nerites. So I think I'm gonna go with 1 tiger and 1 horned from Harpua.

Thanks for all the responses!

Elodea

I have two Horned Nerites (read: Clithona corona) and one Ruby Nerite (read: Neritina natalensis sp. "tracked"). I've never seen a singe egg and they are awesome algae eaters.

Erica0107

I have two Horned Nerites (read: Clithona corona) and one Ruby Nerite (read: Neritina natalensis sp. "tracked"). I've never seen a singe egg and they are awesome algae eaters.

Thanks!!! I hope that's how it works out for me! Now I'm not sure whether to stick with 1 horned or go for 2, lol.

v369

ok, sorry took so long to respond. I have not had any issues with eggs and have them in all my tanks in fresh and brackish.
I have tigers, zebras, olives and horned. the olives and horned are a dif species from the tigers and zebras and should not interbreed.
I read somwhere that nerite snails unlike most snails are male or female
(need to research this more only found in two postings) which may be another reason some of us with mutiple snails in one tank may have no eggs.
only place ive had any eggs is in my brackish tank. and not often or many possibly were eaten by my dwarf puffers.

harpua2002

I have Zebra Nerite snails since June.

They do sometimes get onto the plants I thought it would be impossible for them to climb. But not often. They aren't that good at cleaning the glass even though they tried. You still have to clean it yourself.

From my experience, they need supplement of fish food. Or they will starve.

As for their eggs, they laid them EVERYWHERE! Just as I read, it indeed happened in my tanks. I found white little eggs on the heater, driftwood, plants, rocks, tank walls, everywhere.
I haven't tried to remove any of them but I also heard it would be a pain to remove them. As far as I can see, none of them hatched. Some of them turned gray after over a month.

For a 29 gallon, 3~4 of them will be more than enough.

It would be better if you have hard water. My soft water is making my Zebra nerite losing their shell mass even though I tried to feed them with high calcium food.

Mine are awesome for cleaning glass. However, you can't expect the glass to be totally spotless such that you don't have to clean it yourself. No animal is going to do that for you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
julifhy
Replies
Views
Chris1212
Replies
Views