Nerite Snail questions

SingingFish
Member
Hi!
I am new to caring for nerites. Mine have been in my two 10 gallon tanks for about a month.

One tank has two very active, moving snails, but there shells have some damage. They seem unaffected and I’ve out in Wonder Shells to help with calcium. My question is HOW OFTEN do I put in a fresh Wonder Shell? I put one in last Saturday and it has fully dissolved in this tank (not in the other one).

My second tank has one larger nerite who seems to have issues. He barely moves at all - often sitting still for more than a day - but when he does move he inevitably ends up on his back. I literally watched him start to slowly climb and eat the glass once (the first and only time) and then he simply started to peal off and fall. It’s almost as if he doesn’t know how stay attached. Then he didn’t move for 2 days after I flipped him. I checked to make sure he was alive and put him back on his seemingly preferred place. Over night, he moved again, but I found him under the ship on his back yet again. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!
 
V1K
Member
I'd google what is a recommended KH for nerites and add the shells until my KH is within the recommended range. If you don't know your KH, get some test strips.

One of my mystery snails used to be clumsy like that, and that was because it was injured (huge crack in its shell). It healed and survived, but is stunted compared to its tankmates. Maybe your snail is injured too?
 
  • Thread Starter
SingingFish
Member
Thank you.

It would definitely seem possible that the smail is injured, but the shell appears intact. Hopefully, it recovers.
 
LouPey
Member
SingingFish said:
Thank you.

It would definitely seem possible that the smail is injured, but the shell appears intact. Hopefully, it recovers.
Is your nerite better?
I'm having the exact same problem and was wondering if its died.
Mine ended up upside down. So I put it the right way up. It didn't move for 2 days (it was amongst a grassy carpet plant so I thought maybe it thought it couldn't move between the grass so I moved it to a stone this morning and it still hasn't moved, some 10 hours.

Did you figure out what was wrong with yours?
 
TheWhiteOpalReiichi
Member
SingingFish said:
Hi!
I am new to caring for nerites. Mine have been in my two 10 gallon tanks for about a month.

One tank has two very active, moving snails, but there shells have some damage. They seem unaffected and I’ve out in Wonder Shells to help with calcium. My question is HOW OFTEN do I put in a fresh Wonder Shell? I put one in last Saturday and it has fully dissolved in this tank (not in the other one).

My second tank has one larger nerite who seems to have issues. He barely moves at all - often sitting still for more than a day - but when he does move he inevitably ends up on his back. I literally watched him start to slowly climb and eat the glass once (the first and only time) and then he simply started to peal off and fall. It’s almost as if he doesn’t know how stay attached. Then he didn’t move for 2 days after I flipped him. I checked to make sure he was alive and put him back on his seemingly preferred place. Over night, he moved again, but I found him under the ship on his back yet again. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!
This exact same thing happened to me once, I just waited it out and 2 weeks later he is completely fine. He’s even out right now eating, which he would never do. I’m sorry I can’t help you but I just wanted to tell you
 
LouPey
Member
TheWhiteOpalReiichi said:
This exact same thing happened to me once, I just waited it out and 2 weeks later he is completely fine. He’s even out right now eating, which he would never do. I’m sorry I can’t help you but I just wanted to tell you
Sorry, I find it funny as they seem to be such funny creatures. I hope mine magically recovers like yours! Thank you for giving me hope!
 
  • Thread Starter
SingingFish
Member
Hi!
No! It is still the same. I even changed it to a different tank. It didn’t move for 3 days. When I finally saw that it had changed locations, it was on its back again. I left it where it was and flipped it over, and it hasn’t moved since. It is tightly closed up in its shell and does not smell bad. But it just doesn’t do anything…
I have no idea. Sorry.



LouPey said:
Is your nerite better?
I'm having the exact same problem and was wondering if its died.
Mine ended up upside down. So I put it the right way up. It didn't move for 2 days (it was amongst a grassy carpet plant so I thought maybe it thought it couldn't move between the grass so I moved it to a stone this morning and it still hasn't moved, some 10 hours.

Did you figure out what was wrong with yours?
 
LouPey
Member
SingingFish said:
Hi!
No! It is still the same. I even changed it to a different tank. It didn’t move for 3 days. When I finally saw that it had changed locations, it was on its back again. I left it where it was and flipped it over, and it hasn’t moved since. It is tightly closed up in its shell and does not smell bad. But it just doesn’t do anything…
I have no idea. Sorry.
Ah dear, sorry to hear your snail isn't much better! Got my fingers crossed for you. I've read that if your water parameters are fine then you can expect it to just randomly start getting better. That's what I am pinning my hopes on afterall!
 
  • Thread Starter
SingingFish
Member
Thank you!
My tank parameters are good, my fish and other snails are just fine. I hope it improves as well.

Take care!
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom