Nerite snail not moving :(

Discussion in 'Snails' started by slimeneo, Dec 12, 2012.

1. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

I've had the nerite for over a month, probably. I bought 3 and he's the only one acting weird :( He's the biggest of the 3, with a slight crack in his shell but I bought him that way and he was ok for awhile anyway. But recently he's just stopped moving.. They were at first in my 10 gal, then I moved one over to my 5.5 gal and I started feeding them algae from some rocks in my pond outside. However, by the time I started feeding them he was already inactive and wouldn't respond to any food even if I put him on top of the rock.

A few days ago I decided to move him to the front of the 10 gal so I could watch him better and I put a rock with algae on it right next to him. He opened his trapdoor like 1/2 way and I could see his eyes (at least I think they're eyes) poking around and his antennae moving. However he'd never open his trapdoor all the way and eventually crawl back into his shell and remain in there.

Today he's not coming out of his shell at all, but I took him out and he's definitely not stinky so I'm assuming he's not dead (yet). I tried feeding him an algae wafer but he didn't eat that either. So I'm not sure what's going on :( Is it possible he's sleeping, or something?

Here's a picture of him:
    kaZT1.jpg

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Could be a problem from his cracked shell? Search on here for info. You can't fix it, but you can stop it getting worse. As long as he is in his shell he is alive, I believe.

3. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I've never had luck with the larger nerites. All of them did exactly what you are describing. My smaller ones are always searching for food but it seemed as if my bigger ones just gave up. Double check your water and make sure nothing is out of whack that might be causing him to stay inside his shell.

4. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

It's not completely cracked, sort of looks like a scrape I would say. Here's a pic, he's on the right

View attachment 101868

Water pH is 8.2, and I think I read that high pH is good for their shells.
    I'll try to add calcium to the tank if that's the problem.

It's weird, a few weeks ago I saw him climbing on my plants even though he'd weigh them down and usually uproot them, but he'd do it anyway. Then he just stopped :(

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Can you test your KH and GH? Those are also important, as snails need calcium to grow their shells. I've supposedly overstocked my tank with nerites (IE likely not enough algae for all of them) and they're fine, so I doubt it's from a lack of food. Unfortunately I can't view your picture :(

6. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Hmm here's the picture again:  

Unfortunately I don't have tests for KH and GH :(

7. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

My snails absolutely adore zucchini/courgette I anchor it with a meat scewer and I put it in raw I give it a rinse first and usually get organic because of pesticide and it contains calcium. You could try a small piece and put him on it

8. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Unfortunately he died yesterday :( RIP...

9. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry to hear that :) I've had nerites in the past die for no reason it's so confusing sometimes there even harder than fish to diagnose.

Sending you a hug RIP Zebra nerite

10. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice