Nerite snail not moving after medicating tank

michaelsf90
I recently dosed my tank with fluke solve, which contains prazi, as my Cory's were flashing and one was swimming upside down and I had previously lost a few danios. Anyway so far the cory seems to have been saved and everything is back to normal

So after a week of the medication being in the tank I added carbon and did a 40% water change. Then I did another 40% water change after a week and replaced the carbon. Then I did a 20% water change after half a week and removed the carbon and put sponge back. I then added the snails. I had removed 4 nerites, 1 adult rabbit snail and six babies. All are now back in the tank and one isnt moving and is staying in its shell

This happened previously. It didnt move for two weeks. I kept smelling it and it never smelled really bad so l left it. At the time I was dosing with seachem flourish for my plants. I stopped dosing for a week and when I did a large 50% water change it suddenly came out and started moving. So I guess it's a lot more sensitive to certain things than any of the other snails

The small tank the snails where in I had to keep on top of water changes as it wasnt cycled and just set up. So now I'm currently adding fish food to start cycling it and I'm going to use it as a shrimp tank. So do I stop cycling it and put the nerite back in for a few weeks or do I leave it and do larger water changes?

bcsay720
I would stop using Flourish with the snail in the tank. It has a small trace of copper, which is lethal to snails. I only know this because my to mystery snails died 1.5 weeks ago about a day after my second dose of Flourish, so I decided to check the ingredients again and found that there is, in fact, copper listed near the bottom. I'm still not sure if that's what killed them, but one of those snails had survived a nitrite spike during cycling that was literally off the charts, so it had to have been something strong that killed him. I'd just do a water change and not use Flourish unless you move the snails for a longer period of time until the plants are where you want them. I will say that about 4 days after my second (and last) dose of Flourish to keep my new nerite alive, the plants burst to life and look amazing now, so it shouldn't take long for it to kick in. Hope this helped!

michaelsf90
I dont dose with the flourish anymore. It's just of all of them that was the only one. The copper in it is trace amount but I guess that some are more sensitive than others. Its the fluke solve which contrains prazi that I treated with and I'm wondering if after doing several water changes it's still lingering and the snail doesnt like it

richiep
I'm wondering if both of those are just coincidence Fluk solve is perfectly safe for all inverts and as for Flourish it only as trace amounts copper which shrimp can cope with, Flourish as 0.0001% and the leathel dose is 0.03% so your way below tolerance, you will find 0.0001% in most shrimp foods

Latest threads

Top Bottom