Nerite Snail not fully coming out of his shell

socketsnizzle
Hi!

I have a Black Racer Nerite Snail (named clifford). I’ve had him for four months, and I love him. He’s been doing amazing. But recently he’s been pretty dormant. He doesn’t move around much at all, which I know can be normal. But he used to always move around. But what concerns me the most is that he doesn’t come fully out of his shell anymore. he sometimes retracts into his shell almost all the way and it scares me because i’m afraid he’s dying. So i usually move him to a new spot in the tank and then he comes out of it fully and moves around. but lately it’s not working. i’m worried. could he possibly be getting old? i know i’ve only had him 4 months and they can live to a year but he could’ve been older already when i got him. I put pictures of what he used to look like compared to what he does now. the picture with the more purple lighting is what he looks like at this exact moment.

the water parameters have been pretty great. I had a nitrite spike about a week ago and did a water change and bought API Stress Coat and Quick Start for my tank and since then the water parameters have been wonderful. It’s a two gallon tank with two neon tetras. I used to have him in a 1 gallon with shrimp, but i got a bigger tank.

ph: 7.0
ammonia: 0
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 0-5

I’m just not ready to let him go. But I don’t know what’s wrong with him. Please help if you can.

AggressiveAquatics
Take him out the tank and smell him. You’ll know if he’s dead they stink bad.

socketsnizzle
AggressiveAquatics said:
Take him out the tank and smell him. You’ll know if he’s dead they stink bad.
I’ve already done that. i know he’s not dead. he’s sticking to the glass and he goes into his shell and closes the trap door when i poke him. i’m not worried he’s dead. i’m worried he’s dying. i know what a dead snail will do. but he’s still sticking to the glass such but he’s just not fully out of his shell like he used to be. i’m just trying to figure out why he’s not coming out of his shell like he used to.

richiep
He looks skinny what dose he eat

socketsnizzle
He eats natural algae that grows and also algae wafers to make sure he gets enough to eat but sometimes i can’t get him to even eat the algae wafers. he doesn’t even pay attention to them much. do you think i should place him on top of one to make sure he eats?

Latest threads

Top Bottom