Nerite Snail Limp And Trapdoor Open, But No Smell For 2 Days

Phoenixf2b
Is my Nerite Snail dead? I know the two ways to test are if they give any resistence to the trap door and if they smell bad. My snail is about 2 years old, seems to have been slowing down. I found him two days ago in the tank and he hadn't moved at all. The day before he was on his side. I have him isolated from my betta and I thought he was dead because when I hold him up, his trap door just droops open. I can open and close it and he doesn't respond AT ALL.

Other than that, his coloring is still normal (no milky film or mucus) and he has not developed any bad smell at all.

How long does it take for the smell to set it once the snail dies? Is it possible he's just in a coma or hibernating? He fell over one day, then stopped moving, but not gives ZERO response and his trapdoor hangs open.

smee82
I think he might be dead

Phoenixf2b
I thought so too, but he isn't decaying at all. He looks "normal" other than the not moving. I found him like this on Monday. No smell and no decay, how long does that process take from death? I understood it happened rapidly.

smee82
Mine usuall start smelling 2or 3 days later

Phoenixf2b
Mine usuall start smelling 2or 3 days later
How long typically until you notice decomposing though? The film and goopiness?

smee82
I don't wait that long. Once they stink I shake them out of theyre shell and flush them but keep the shell.

Phoenixf2b
I don't wait that long. Once they stink I shake them out of theyre shell and flush them but keep the shell.
But he doesn't stink yet, this is what is concerning me. He isn't breaking down, he looks normal (not goopy or filmy) and there is no smell at all, but he's completely unresponsive. He hasn't moved in 3 days and I can open and close the trap door with no response.

If he's dead is he somehow being preserved by the water? I have him isolated in a little cup until I know because I don't want that sudden bomb of ammonia hurting my Betta. Today is day three and so far no smell or decomp.

smee82
I woder if hes been paralized. Do you have assassin snails, I think they paralize theyre prey.

Phoenixf2b
No, he was the only snail in the tank along with one female Betta who never bothered him.

Bithimala
Could you possibly post some pics of what you're seeing? Nerites don't have much of a trapdoor, not like other snails. Water will definitely hide the smell, so if he's in a cup, you would need to pick him up out of the water to sniff him.

What are the tank parameters?

Side note, please don't flush deceased tank inhabitants. You could be introducing all sorts of odd things into the environment that aren't native to the area.

Dch48
I would say it's dead. Two years is a ripe old age in the snail world. If it's just hanging open and doesn't respond to touch, it's most likely dead. It took my mystery at least 3 days to start smelling bad.

Phoenixf2b
Could you possibly post some pics of what you're seeing? Nerites don't have much of a trapdoor, not like other snails. Water will definitely hide the smell, so if he's in a cup, you would need to pick him up out of the water to sniff him.

Side note, please don't flush deceased tank inhabitants. You could be introducing all sorts of odd things into the environment that aren't native to the area.

He's definitely dead. Today he smells bad, not as horrible as others have suggested but bad. Nerites definitely have a trap door. His was flapping open and closed with zero resistance. Today as I pulled him out of the cup to examine him, he smelled bad (not as putrid as others have described, but definitely bad) and milk white drops fell from him and into the water. I gave him a little wiggle and he slipped out of his shell back into the cup, and he's got a mucusy texture. I think this totally confirms it that he's dead.

He was a great snail, and lived a good life from what I understand. 2 years isn't so shabby. Just kinda bummed to see him go

He's not getting flushed. Gonna bury him in the garden next to the betta we lost in February.

Dch48
He's not getting flushed. Gonna bury him in the garden next to the betta we lost in February.
You could just put him outside and let the ants finish cleaning out the shell and then wash it out real good and keep it . You could even coat it with clear lacquer so the natural colors show. I'm saving the shell of my black mystery that recently died.

Phoenixf2b
You could just put him outside and let the ants finish cleaning out the shell and then wash it out real good and keep it . You could even coat it with clear lacquer so the natural colors show. I'm saving the shell of my black mystery that recently died.
We really don't want to keep the shell. We talked about it and decided to put him entirely to rest in the garden.

Bithimala
I'm sorry for your loss, but I think it's awesome that you're going to give him a burial! 2 years is definitely a reasonable life span for them

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Laura306
  • Question
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views
bored411
Replies