Nerite snail laying eggs everywhere!

1. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Hi guys!

I noticed this morning that my nerite snail is dropping sticky, little white eggs all over the tank. I know that they need brackish water to breed, but why would the snail suddenly feel inclined to drop all of these eggs everywhere? Nothing has changed at all in the tank, but either way I think that this is really cool! :D

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Normal behavior for a nerite. Mine is a male, so he doesn't, but they still lay eggs in freshwater, but their larvae does not survive.

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

When I got my 4 Nerites 2 + years ago, they were laying eggs everywhere for months. Then all of a sudden they stopped! I haven't seen any eggs in at least a year. I'm not sure why

The eggs can be annoying if its on the glass because they are not easy to come off. Most of the ones from a year ago managed to disappear though from the glass so they eventually DO come off.

Now one thing to note, NONE of my horned Nerites have laid any eggs and I have had them for about 11 months.

4. SW5 Well Known Member Member

I have had this nerite well over a year, and she has never done this before, I just found it interesting that she suddenly began laying all of these eggs. So I guess mine felt like going on an egg laying spree.

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Is there other Nerites in the tank? Maybe when they think they are going to mate, they start laying eggs. Strange how she waited a year....

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Maybe there's been a change in the water or temperature that's suddenly set her off

7. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Nope, Junne she's all alone... And Coradee temp is always right around 78 I don't check my pH as often as I should but when I do check it, it never varies at all.

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Barometric pressure? I'm clutching at straws here now ;)

9. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Something must have changed to get her in the "egg-laying" mood.......

Something must have changed for mine too since they "Stopped" - which I don't mind anyway

10. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, let's blame it on barometric pressure!

Here's a picture of a few of them, there is a group of about 7 under a rock that I can't get a picture of.
    image.jpg

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Whatever set her off at least you won't have a population explosion as she could carry on laying regularly for months now she's started

12. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing

13. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

By the way, this is what one of my Nerites DID to my Mystery snail. The Embellished look is in!

Perfectly symmetrical, I might add!

nerite markings on ms.jpg

14. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Haha blinged up snail :)

15. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Haha! That's awesome!

16. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

OMG these Nerites are naughty! :mad: They even got their eggs on my little itty bitty MTS snails! LOL

I am so glad they stopped their nonsense!

17. millca Member Member

Oh, so glad I saw this post before purchasing any nerite snails. I had heard they never breed in freshwater and assumed that meant no egg laying either. I don't want my tank's glass to get covered with eggs. I assume also fish won't eat the eggs to help get rid of them?

18. PedroThePie Member Member

Nope. I got 5 nerites in one tank, 2 escape every day while the other have practically turned the tank white! You can't imagine how hard they are to scrub off either.