Nerite Snail Hasn't Moved Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by KasumiKi, Nov 15, 2018.

1. KasumiKi

KasumiKiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    I just stocked my 10 gallon tank today and I got a zebra nerite snail to help with algae. I already have algae buildup in my tank just for it to eat. I'm not sure if I'm overreacting but I figured I could go ahead and ask and just see what people say.

It's been almost 2 hours since I added the snail, making sure to put it right side up, and it hasn't moved at all. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it going to be fine? The other stock I added to the tank are all very active and have even eaten already! Just wondering if I need to do anything. I don't have a good picture of it since my tank is now on the nighttime part of its light cycle.

I don't know if this is needed but these were my water parameters right before I added the stock.
    pH: 6.8
    ammonia: 0 ppm
    nitrite: 0 ppm
    nitrate: 10 ppm

2. Princethepurplebetta

PrincethepurplebettaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +277
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Some of my snails do that. Mine will sit the sometimes for about 2 days before they start moving around.

What else did you add?

3. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I got my nerites online. They didn't move for two days, then they started zooming around. I would give it some time. It is likely just adjusting, or lazy.

4. OP
    OP
    KasumiKi

KasumiKiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    I added 10 kubotai rasboras, 3 amano shrimp, and 1 dwarf crayfish who is VERY TINY. The nerite is a pretty big one. It might be that it's just being lazy. I just didn't know if I needed to be worried or not.

5. HairyCatFish

HairyCatFishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    I remember asking the same question when I started keeping Nerite snail's. Its normal for them to sit still for hours or days. Sometimes even upside down. I've got at least half a dozen and they all do it. I've only had one that stayed still for too long and was actually dead.
    Was it moving or stuck on the glass at the time you bought it? It's possible you bought an already dead snail. Pick it up and see if its trapdoor is sealed shut or hangs open. If it's sealed or seals itself up when you touch the underside it should be okay.

6. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I wouldn't worry about it. Give it some time. If he isn't moving after a day or so, then it is time to worry.
    Meanwhile, make sure to keep an eye on water quality since you did add a bit of stock all at once.

7. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +872
    How did you acclimate the snail?

I had a snail stay dormant for 2 weeks before it started moving. 2 hours is nothing to worry about just yet.

8. Cosmic_Mermaid

Cosmic_MermaidNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Following because I'm in the same boat currently

9. Colleen B

Colleen BWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +342
    Sometimes snails just dont move for a long time. I think they're dead all the time but there not lol

10. Grammywms

GrammywmsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    I would think that it would have starved to death.

11. Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    I just bought my nerite yesterday and dropped into the aquarium. I watched it til bedtime and no movement.
    Then when I got up this morning, a lot of the brown algae was gone. I looked for him and he's snuggled up against the base of one of my artificial plants and has stayed there all day. Makes me wonder if he is nocturnal. lol While I'm here, could I ask a question since I couldn't find a thread pertinent to my question? My nerite is so small, the size of my small fingernail. Will he grow bigger? Will he eat waste in the substrate? I have 1 betta. Will he produce a lot of waste?

12. Ladyglo

LadygloValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +44
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    My last nerites stayed small, about the size of a penny. That said they lived for just shy of 4 years. They didn’t eat from the substrate, I had to vacuum, but they did keep the tank and decor algae down.
    As for not moving, I wouldn’t worry unless they haven’t moved for several days.

13. Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    thx. He has done some moving this evening.

14. Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    Now, I've seen the nerite by the miramo moss ball, on the plastic end of heater, on the glass. Ruben, my betta discovered him when he was on the glass yesterday and seemed quite interested. He poked at it and kept going back to it. It was funny to watch him.

15. Ladyglo

LadygloValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +44
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Wonderful, I’m so glad he is doing well !

Become a Fishlore Member