Nerite Snail Hasn't Moved For 6 Days. Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by ladyrivermouse, Apr 14, 2018.

1. l

ladyrivermouse Valued Member Member

I'm new to owning snails so I'm not sure what the acclimation time is for nerites, but I'm pretty sure I was sold a dead nerite snail?
    When I picked out the little guy I asked the one that was clearly active, out of its shell, and climbing the glass. I turned around for a minute to look in another tank for a new fish, and I think they may have picked up a different nerite. The shell pattern doesn't quiet look the same.
    Anyway, I took the little guy home last sunday and, now six days later, he has not moved or come out of his shell at all.
    Is it possible that I was either sold a dead snail or that maybe it died soon after coming home?... Is it possibly just an extremely scare snail?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

nerites can be picky with water quality and chemistry. most likely this response is due to the change in chemistry. If it is dead, you will know. dead snail isn't a forgiving smell.

3. OP
    OP
    l

So when I did some investigation of the nerite shell in the tank I discovered that there was no snail in the shell.... So the good news is its not a dead snail? Lol

4. 86 ssinit

86 ssinit Well Known Member Member

Are there fish in the tank?

5. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Something has probably already eaten it. Id go back and comolain and get a replacement.

6. OP
    OP
    l

So I went back to the store and told them what happened, I also told them that one of my mystery snails also died shortly after bringing it home. I brought in a sample of my tank water, it tested just fine.
    They gave me two replacement snails - that were clearly in a shell and very alive at the time of purchase -

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice