Nerite Snail Eggs

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by ShamFish97, Jun 12, 2019.

1. ShamFish97Valued MemberMember

It looks like my Nerite laid eggs. Is it possible to remove them and create a tank to raise them in? I've never had saltwater, so I don't know how all this works but I'm assuming as they were laid in freshwater, they are infertile

2. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

I’m sure they’re infertile and they’re also impossible to move without crushing them. Maybe if a male and female were raised in saltwater when they released them...that I have no clue about.

3. fjhWell Known MemberMember

Ive never done it myself, but (assuming you have both genders) then you can move the eggs to brackish water to hatch and raise the larval stage in saltwater. Just because they were laid in freshwater doesnt mean anything.

4. yinoma2001Valued MemberMember

I just consider them "decoration."

5. ShamFish97Valued MemberMember

What's an easy way to determine if they're male or female snails? I may set up a brackish tank for the next time I see eggs, so I can try it... :D

6. fjhWell Known MemberMember

I honestly can never tell with nerites, but in theory it should be the same as with mystery snails?

If you have a brackish or saltwater tank, just let the nerites breed in there.

7. ShamFish97Valued MemberMember

I've got this hexagonal tank, no clue how many gallons it is yet. I'd be interested in setting it up to be saltwater.
    [​IMG]
    I've got a ramshorn and a pond snail in there now, it's mostly been my deposit bin for any snails i find in my tanks from the plant's ive ordered.

8. fjhWell Known MemberMember

wow, that would be awesome! If you do, let me know how it goes!

9. ShamFish97Valued MemberMember

They just don't stop!