Nerite Snail Eggs

ShamFish97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It looks like my Nerite laid eggs. Is it possible to remove them and create a tank to raise them in? I've never had saltwater, so I don't know how all this works but I'm assuming as they were laid in freshwater, they are infertile

WTFish?

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m sure they’re infertile and they’re also impossible to move without crushing them. Maybe if a male and female were raised in saltwater when they released them...that I have no clue about.

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ive never done it myself, but (assuming you have both genders) then you can move the eggs to brackish water to hatch and raise the larval stage in saltwater. Just because they were laid in freshwater doesn't mean anything.

OP
ShamFish97

ShamFish97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fjh said:
Ive never done it myself, but (assuming you have both genders) then you can move the eggs to brackish water to hatch and raise the larval stage in saltwater. Just because they were laid in freshwater doesn't mean anything.
What's an easy way to determine if they're male or female snails? I may set up a brackish tank for the next time I see eggs, so I can try it...

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ShamFish97 said:
What's an easy way to determine if they're male or female snails? I may set up a brackish tank for the next time I see eggs, so I can try it...
I honestly can never tell with nerites, but in theory it should be the same as with mystery snails?

If you have a brackish or saltwater tank, just let the nerites breed in there.

OP
ShamFish97

ShamFish97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fjh said:
I honestly can never tell with nerites, but in theory it should be the same as with mystery snails?

If you have a brackish or saltwater tank, just let the nerites breed in there.
I've got this hexagonal tank, no clue how many gallons it is yet. I'd be interested in setting it up to be saltwater.

I've got a ramshorn and a pond snail in there now, it's mostly been my deposit bin for any snails I find in my tanks from the plant's ive ordered.

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ShamFish97 said:
I've got this hexagonal tank, no clue how many gallons it is yet. I'd be interested in setting it up to be saltwater.

I've got a ramshorn and a pond snail in there now, it's mostly been my deposit bin for any snails I find in my tanks from the plant's ive ordered.
wow, that would be awesome! If you do, let me know how it goes!

New Threads