Nerite Snail Eggs

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Yves, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Yves

Yves Valued Member Member

Some of my rocks and driftwood are full of Nerite eggs in my freshwater tank, if I move these rocks to a brackish water tank will they hatch ? or do the snail have to mate and lay the eggs in the brakish water.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!
    The short answer is Yes, they should hatch in brackish water (marine/saltwater salt should do the trick) The snails don't have to mate in brackish water to produce the eggs. The eggs are designed to remain dormant until the right conditions (brackish water in this case) occur.
    Hope this helps!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Eggs will hatch in freshwater but the babys will die.
    If you move them to brackish water the snails should survive altough to be honest with you I dont exactly know how the reproduction works and if they go trough metamorphosis or not. I tried looking around on the internet and found nothing apart that they need brackish water.
    Note that to achieve a brackish enviroment you need marine salt, not table salt. I think it is obvious but just in case.

4. KinsKicks

They don't quite have a metamorphosis as you are probably thinking (like a caterpillar-larvae-butterfly). Unlike hermit crabs, for example, they are born with shells and they almost look like little larvae when hatched. During development they do need calcium and other minerals to strengthen their shells. Their reproduction method is quite fascinating based on the coils of the shells and the genders and a few other things (but that is something the bio student in me knows :p !)

5. BeanFish

Oh, cool. There is not so much info in the internet, or I just suck at researching. Where do you bio students get all the info from? Any good books?

6. Incognito Nemo

Incognito Nemo New Member Member

Pretty sure I have several of these eggs too. Little white dots (almost like large grains of salt) stuck to the glass and other objects? I'm thinking of moving them to my currently-empty 10 gallon to hatch. I do have marine salt I can use. Questions:

Is there a preferred method of removing them from the original surface? Are they fragile? They seem pretty sturdy.

Do they need filtration if they're the only thing in a tank by themselves?

What temperature do they need?

7. KinsKicks

Ha. Basic material; like the shell coils in reproduction, are basic bio example of reproductive isolation. A lot of the detailed info is from my deep dives of the aquatic world. :p

8. BeanFish

I dont know. I know that eggs from corydoras that are put in the glass are gently grabbed with a credit card or razor blade. I dont know how to describe it, but basically you stick the credit card to the glass and work your way up to the eggs and very gently get them into the credit card. So probably it is the same for the nerite eggs altough if you can get whatever surface they are on into the 10 gal I would do that instead.
    Snails poop and produce ammonia as any other living thing but I dont think they need a filter if you do frequent water changes.
    I would say 25 Celsius is fine for nerites, they are kept with goldfish and tropical fish so I think they can take a good range of temperatures.

9. KinsKicks

•it is best not to remove them if u r sure they are snail eggs and require the brackish water. They are quite fragile and you risk popping the ones where you are scraping. However, you can try to scrape with off with a razor blade and put them in the separate tank (sacrificing the ones stuck to the glass).

• filtration will be important. high quality water is always better. A 30-50% change every 3 days or so will help with this. They need as much help as they can in getting good strong shells. Very little agitation is good too. A low bubbler can do this.

• temp is a little bit of a debate from what I've seen. Some say that they should be kept at 78. A few others say it doesn't matter; one breeder says he doesnt even monitor the temp and sometimes hatches them in cold water (room temp goldfish bowl stuff!) but highly emphasizes quality.

10. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

I don't think I would risk trying to remove them. I've had to remove nerite snail eggs from surfaces and they are stuck really tight and tend to leave a little ring in the spot when you remove them. I would imagine that this would hurt the egg.

11. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Nerite snail eggs won't ever hatch in freshwater, it's why a lot of people buy them for freshwater tanks. :)

As for OP you could put the rock or wood or whatever that has the eggs on them into brackish water, and they should hatch. It is a rather slow process for acclimating them back into freshwater though, and you have to do it at the right time too. Freshly hatched nerite snails need to stay in the brackish water at least until their shells harden completely. Now one can also float something like Styrofoam, and wait for nerite snails to lay their eggs on that, if they don't have rock or wood with nerite eggs on it already.

12. BeanFish

Oh ok, thanks for correcting me.

13. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

From what I have read, they hatch in brackish water as larvae, then go to full salt water to grow(out to sea), then back to brackish before back to fresh. Ocean water does not stay all that warm, though I'm sure tide pools would be warmer.
    I think this would require some in-depth research to pull off.
    If nothing else, if they at least hatch in brackish water, we could use this method to get the eggs of the decor!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice