Nerite Snail Eggs - what to do with them? Question 

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
SO, I'm new to snails...I got 2 little Nerite Snails for my Betta tank a month ago, and they are doing GREAT! Today I found snail eggs on the back of the tank (which I'm taking as a sign they are happy in their home). I know they won't hatch in freshwater, but don't know what I should do with the eggs themselves. Do most people simply remove them from the tank during a water change? Or just let nature take its course and leave them alone.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can scrape them if you’d like, they’re very tough. I always just leave them.

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Morpheus1967 said:
Are you positive they are nerite snail eggs? Do you have any corys in the tank?
Yes, great question. This tank only has 1 betta and 2 nerite snails. It’s a smaller tank, sadly too small for Cory’s.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd leave them...just for funsies, of course. I was just on YouTube and the rumors there are that some nerites can breed/hatch in freshwater. IDK if that's true, but.....

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I like the way they look in my tanks when there are a few on rocks n driftwood. But they are very tough to remove i usually just let them go away on their own.

BettaDollar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your snails may be the exception to the rule - just got this from the internet,

"It’s often noted that Nerite Snails will not reproduce in fresh water. Because Nerites need brackish water to reproduce successfully, they will not take over a fresh water tank like many other snails do."

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom