Nerite Snail Eating Plant?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Handelma, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Handelma

Handelma Valued Member Member

I caught my nerite snail trying to eat some floating anacharis. Can they eat plants?

I'm worried he doesn't have enough to eat since I have reduced my light time to 5 hrs and reduced algae.

Attached Files:

2. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

they can eat plants but rarely, maybe it was eating stuff off of the plant?

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,
    They aren't known to eat plants but may be hungry or eating the diatoms off of them.

Do you supplement their diet?

4. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

Their little, er, biting clacker things are not strong enough to eat most plant leaves. What they can do is eat parts of the plant that are not healthy, or are decaying. This is actually helpful for the plant even though it looks like it’s not.

I find that when I feed mine algae pellets too often, they get extremely lazy about the glass and ornaments. But, I really love my snails and sometimes will feed them a pellet.

Also, Anacharis tends to get a lot of algae on those little leaves. My corys really go at it also. Unless it is stripping them off to the stalk, I would not worry.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  5. K

Kristian Acevedo Valued Member Member

He’s almost certainly eating what’s on the leaves. I have so many plants in my tank that my 3 nerites don’t even touch the walls of the tank, they almost exclusively prefer to eat the algae and biofilm growing on the plants

6. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

try adding more vegetables to their diet

7. OP
    OP
    Handelma

Handelma Valued Member Member

Thanks for the tips.

I put in algae wafers about once a week, but I've never seen him touch them.
    I sometimes put in cooked zuccini, but he also doesn't touch it, and it will grow white fuzzy stuff so I don't add it that often.

I had a pretty bad algae bloom, so I turned off my tank lights for a few weeks. It killed all the algae (which was covering every surface and would bounce back in days after removing), but now I'm worried about my nerite having enough to eat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice