Nerite Snail Caught In The Act! 60 Gallon Tank

1. Jckronk76 Initiate Member

I'm new to snails have been noticing these little white clusters popping up on the glass the last week. I suspected they were snail eggs but here's the proof.
    [​IMG]

What's interesting is I was told that these guys couldn't hatch in fresh water but I've actually seen a couple little guys crawling around.

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

Lol...looks like eggs! Technically, nerites do drop eggs in FW, but they won't hatch without the salinity...so there's nothing to worry about. By then, either the other fish will eat them or you can just scrape them off.

Maybe the little guys you've been seeing are another type of snail? Maybe pond/bladder (or pest snail in general) snails?

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. GabeC Member Member

As mentioned above, nerites won't hatch in freshwater. I'd also agree that the small snails you see are pond snails. They usually hitchhike on any(every) live plant you buy.

4. Jckronk76 Initiate Member

Just found one of the little guys, bladder snail I think?

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Yves Member Member

Personally I had four Nerite snails in my tank when I first set it up, when I find the females I remove them, those eggs will cover everything eventually.

6. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Bladder snails for sure. I intentionally raise them to feed a colony of breeding assassins. They are extremely prolific and if you are not very very careful they WILL infest your tank. I recommend deciding on how you would prefer to eradicate them now. That snail is old enough and likely already has bred in your tank. Their offspring are extremely tiny like a grain of fine sand and are capable of breeding by the time you can easily see them in your tank.
    If you are interested in removing them I can tell you a few effective methods also. I do not use chemicals, if you want information on chemical methods my advice is they are in general much more harmful than effective and if you have snails you want don't even try chemicals it'll make your tank inhospitable to all inverts indefinitely.

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, the little one is a pond/bladder snail.

8. HatterasMermaid Initiate Member

I added fish and plants to my cycled tank in June....finally! I tried to be very careful with the plants as I sooooo wanted to avoid pest snails! Well... surprise! ..or not... a few days ago, I saw a little snail cruising across my tank glass. It was gone so quickly. (This means I didn't get a photo NOR remove it as I couldn't find it after I returned with a towel --lesson learned! A towel is now housed on shelf under tank!) I can not find it. I have cleaned the tank but still don't see it! After looking at the photos at this site, I am fairly sure that what I saw ---at a distance--- was a bladder snail. I added 2 nerite snails to the tank earlier this evening as I had been planning to for some time to help with cleanup... ... after reading these posts, I hope that I haven't just added "fuel" to what I didn't realize was going to be a "fire"! I keep searching for that small snail.... and possibly others! (Nooooo! Sighhh!) I have my fingers crossed that I won't need to return asking for HELP getting rid of bladder snails or nerite eggs!

9. Jckronk76 Initiate Member

I'm not interested in chemicals but what else you got for eradication/prevention?

10. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Cool, I have eggs everywhere have caught them in the other act but not laying eggs.

Snails Together.jpg

11. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

You can set up a snail trap. It's really easy. Use a plastic water bottle, cut off the top (save it) and throw in some chopped veggies, especially leafy ones (like lettuce). Add some rocks or gravel to weigh it down and invert the top cut portion of the bottle into the bottom portion to make sure its closed off. (If this part doesn make sense, I can show you lol...it's kinda hard to explain) Go ahead and drop it in your tank, and wait for a couple of hours. Soon you'll see all the little snails in there and you can scoop the bottle out and do what you please :)

12. Jckronk76 Initiate Member

The top goes upside down like a funnel pointed at the bait?

13. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Ya! Exactly like that. It helps seal the top and prevent your fish from swimming in.

14. Jckronk76 Initiate Member

Cool thanks!

15. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Eradication, imo the best and least stressful and time consuming method is assassins, not sure the size of the tank but 1-2 (even 3-4 if it's serious infestation) per 10 gallons. They will eat the snails and once the snails are gone will scavenge leftover food and even algae if pickings are really slim. They do take time to do their job you can count on them eating 1-3 snails each per week. They will eat the eggs if they find them also. I've heard rumors about eating fish eggs but they won't make a significant dent in fry unless you seriously have a bunch of assassins.

The lettuce/vegi method - you can blanch or otherwise sink a slice of zucchini or cucumber (best in my experience) or lettuce (not iceberg) like kale, or romaine and remove them as they start eating the vegi and replace said slice with a new one. Be sure to use organic veggies and rinse them well before putting them in your tank.

Snail traps - I've never tried this, you can Google how to make it, some people report more success with traps and veggies than just veggies.

Picking and tossing or smashing - some fish like them so you can just crush them in the tank and let your fish have a snack. Or pick them all out daily or twice daily by hand. Meticulous and tedious but can be used in conjunction with other methods.

No method will immediately eradicate them. All are daily chores for a while other than assassins. When removing from my tanks I pick them out on use zucchini and then drop them into the bladder snail tank.

Eggs are generally laid on the underside of leaves and decor, they prefer laying in shaded darker areas but neither is a rule for them. They also like more broad leafed real plants, again not a rule just a general preference. They will lay about anywhere. I'll attach a picture of some eggs of I can get a decent photo from my tank for you.

Prevention.
    Anything you get from anywhere that's been in a tank, driftwood, plants (especially plants), or other decor rinse and throughly look it over for snails and eggs. There are several different methods and recipes for dips that you can use on plants but physical removal of eggs is the only reliable method of getting eggs in the tank as they can survive many if not all the dips. Although dip survival will be lower than no treatment at all.

My zebra danios absolutely LOVE to eat snail eggs. I dropped some Java fern in a tank with my danios as I was in a hurry and the tank also has a true flying fox (which will dine on small inverts) and the zebra danios went nuts over the eggs. Never read that they'd eat them anywhere but they had the plants picked clean when I got back home. I cannot speak to this being common or anything that other types of Danios will do but mine love the eggs. I've tested the theory a few times with success with my danios since.

Getting rid of the eggs and removing any adults you see immediately will tremendously reduce your population fairly quickly. Be sure to check your filter media as well because they can, will and do get into filters and lay eggs and eat the yuck in there as well. You will have to monitor the tank for snails and eggs daily for a while after you've seen no snails before you can be confident that they are actually gone. Depending in temps the eggs can take several weeks to hatch. Mine generally hatch in 2-4 weeks.

First pic attached here is of several clutches of eggs at different stages, some you can see the little white spots showing growth some you can't as they don't show well enough on camera they are tiny, each clutch looks like a drip of clear jelly. My finger is also in the pic to show how small these can be. Larger snails lay larger clutches, smaller snails lay smaller clutches.

Second pic is some from a hatch about 10-14 days ago, at least they show up on the photo but they are still smaller than a pin head, two-three would fit on a pin head. [​IMG][​IMG]