Nerite Snail Capacity

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Fanatic, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Hey there, I have a question about Nerite Snails.

I have a 2.5g tank, with live plants. It already has a betta in it, and he's thriving! I'm soon to put the indian almond leaves into the tank.

My question is:

1) How many snails can I put into a 2.5g with a betta?
    2) Can I feed my nerites, sinking algae wafers?
    3) Who sells the best nerites?

2. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

Not sure about 1 and 3, but nerites should like algae wafers. They also like leftover fish food if it's not too old (I've seen mine nomming on a shrimp pellet!) and possibly some veggies.

3. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

1 - 3?

Alright, veggies are totally something I am able to do!

Btw, you say Nomming? I say that too! :)

4. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

I meant am not sure I can answe your questions 1 and 3. Sorry I wasn't clear. :)

Yes I think nomming is a funny word. I think I learned it on these forums!

5. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Oh!

Yah, its a funny word I say all the time

6. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

I would start with 1 Nerite, if you have a lot of algae and stuff you can get a second :) on the other hand, if you are going to put food in specifically for the snails, you can do a lot more.

Algae wafers should be fine. They will mostly eating anything growing in your tank but will appreciate any fresh veggies you can give also (especially in terms of shell growth)

Can't help you here... if you can find someone local selling them that would be best since the water quality is similar so their shell won't have really weird growth lines. Also then you don't have to worry about shipping.
    As a side note, I usually get my snails from petco's adoption tank... so they are in bad shape but live a better life and make full recoveries, though they do end up with the growth lines.

Best of luck!

7. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

I have a stunning PetCo a few miles from my house. They have the worlds best setups (well, IMO) and I might go from there.

On the other hand, I get a ton of algae all over the filter box. :eek:

8. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

I am going to be picking a couple up from PetCo!

I'll let you guys know what they look like when I introduce them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice