Nerite Snail Baby ?

WTFish?

Well Known
HI there. I’m on my phone so it’s hard for me to see what type of baby that is, but I’m guessing a pond or bladder snail. Nerites cannot reproduce in freshwater. It probably came in on a plant or in a bag of fish.
Edit...you said only fake plants so probably with your fish or snail. The eggs and hatchlings are so very tiny.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Croeso welcome to fishlore
Yes you'd picked up a hitchhiker. There was another thread where I thought a similar snail was a pond or bladder and it turned out it was a nerite and I think it was Skavatar identified it

OP
R

Redulet

I bought the fish from a pets store ( pets at home ) , she picked the ones and put them in a bag with water from that aquarium. There were only one type of fish in each aquarium, snails were in different aquariums. That was about 1 month ago. Noticed the baby snail about 1 week ago. If he’s a hitchhiker, is it safe to let it grow ? I’ve seen only this one...

OP
R

Redulet

richie.p said:
Theres no reason why not the chances are it came in with the nerite
I have the mollies with the nerite snails from a mate of mine , he had them for about 1 year. Brought the whole tank with water , fish and snails about 2 months ago. I just added the swordtails and neons 1 month ago. I’m quite intrigued of how he ended up in here i’ve seen is near impossible for nerite snails to reproduce in freshwater , but I thought was a little miracle I suppose the hitchhiker won’t reproduce if he’s alone...right ?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
If it's a bladder snail they need two to reproduce they are what's called hermaphroditic

New Threads