Nerite Snail Baby ?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Redulet, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Redulet

ReduletNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 nerite snails , fake plants , a few mollies , neon and swordtails. And now this...i’m wondering how did this happen ? Should i be concerned ? I have attached one pic with one of the actual snails and one with the baby

Attached Files:

2. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi there. I’m on my phone so it’s hard for me to see what type of baby that is, but I’m guessing a pond or bladder snail. Nerites cannot reproduce in freshwater. It probably came in on a plant or in a bag of fish.
    Edit...you said only fake plants so probably with your fish or snail. The eggs and hatchlings are so very tiny.

3. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,474
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Croeso welcome to fishlore
    Yes you'd picked up a hitchhiker. There was another thread where I thought a similar snail was a pond or bladder and it turned out it was a nerite and I think it was @Skavatar identified it

4. OP
    OP
    Redulet

ReduletNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the fish from a pets store ( pets at home ) , she picked the ones and put them in a bag with water from that aquarium. There were only one type of fish in each aquarium, snails were in different aquariums. That was about 1 month ago. Noticed the baby snail about 1 week ago. If he’s a hitchhiker, is it safe to let it grow ? I’ve seen only this one...

5. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,474
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Theres no reason why not the chances are it came in with the fish

6. OP
    OP
    Redulet

ReduletNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the mollies with the nerite snails from a mate of mine , he had them for about 1 year. Brought the whole tank with water , fish and snails about 2 months ago. I just added the swordtails and neons 1 month ago. I’m quite intrigued of how he ended up in here i’ve seen is near impossible for nerite snails to reproduce in freshwater , but i thought was a little miracle I suppose the hitchhiker won’t reproduce if he’s alone...right ?

7. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,474
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If it's a bladder snail they need two to reproduce they are what's called hermaphroditic

Become a Fishlore Member