Nerite snail babies

Shelbieg98
Hey guys so I have been having my aquarium since July 2020 same fish and the one snail inside since then nothing new like plants etc. but my snail managed to lay tons of eggs everywhere, and some hatched. I have no idea what to do? Take the live snails and fish out into new tank? Let all the eggs hatch? I need help. I tried calling the pet store and they said it was impossible for the snail to have babies, but they all look just like the big snail,and I have never seen pest snails so if that’s what they are I’m not sure what to do then either.
The eggs in the tank match the pictures I have found of the eggs from nerites. Help?
image.jpg

image.jpg

mimo91088
Nerite egg can't hatch in freshwater. You likely have bladder snails. Beneficial clean up crew.

Shelbieg98
mimo91088 said:
Nerite egg can't hatch in freshwater. You likely have bladder snails. Beneficial clean up crew.
So the one I bought is she also bladder snail?
like said before we haven’t bought anything new for the tank in 6 months so I’m so confused as to how we all the sudden got random baby snails unless she had them lol
image.jpg

mattgirl
Welcome to Fishlore

Can you get a better picture of your snail and one of the eggs if you can. As you've already heard nerite eggs won't hatch in fresh water. Even if some did they wouldn't survive. I am wondering if maybe your snail isn't actually a nerite or if some other kind of snail/snail egg hitched a ride on a plant some time in the past and has now gotten big enough to start laying eggs of its own. They can be sneaky little creatures.

Shelbieg98
This is the momma snail.
image.jpg
And the eggs are the white specks. They’re all over the tank and I clean the tank regularly so this happened during Christmas break when we left. We currently have no live plants and we have not added any new fish since July 2020
image.jpg

V1K
Shelbieg98 said:
So the one I bought is she also bladder snail?
like said before we haven’t bought anything new for the tank in 6 months so I’m so confused as to how we all the sudden got random baby snails unless she had them lol
It the snail is the stripey thing (hard to tell with all those colours ), then it is indeed a nerite. But the baby snail you uploaded in your first post isn't stripey and doesn't really look like this one.

Shelbieg98
V1K said:
It the snail is the stripey thing (hard to tell with all those colours ), then it is indeed a nerite. But the baby snail you uploaded in your first post isn't stripey and doesn't really look like this one.
Yes sorry that’s the main snail I bought in July, so she’s my only one except these new babies. They’re all kinda small still so very hard to see. I have another baby with a spotty looking shell.

RayClem
As indicated above, Nerite snails are a brackish water species. Nerites are either male or female from the time of birth. In order for the snails to lay eggs, you have to have both a male and female in the tank. Although nerites can and do lay eggs in freshwater aquariums, the eggs cannot hatch unless they are moved to backish water.

Mystery snails also require a male and a female to breed. However, it has been known for mystery snails to change sexes if there are multiple individuals of only one sex available.

Bladder snails and pond snails are hermaphrodites. That means that they carry both male and female sex organs in the body of an individual snail. Although two snails can mate, if only one individual is available, a single snail can fertilize it own eggs, lay eggs and multiply. That is why these snails are sometimes called "pest" snails. If a single snail gets into your aquarium, in a few weeks, your tank can be overrun with snails.

Personally, I do not consider bladder snails and pond snails to be pests. I have both in my aquariums. They are small enough to get into spots that are too small for larger snails to clean. Thus, I find them a useful addition to the clean-up crew. However, whenever I do water changes, I remove dozens of the snails from my tanks so they do not get out of control.

The snail population is largely dependent upon the amount of food available to them. If there is plenty of algae for them to eat or excess fish food for them to consume, they will multiply rapidly. If food is scarce, then the population won't expand. Thus, one way to control your snail population is not to overfeed your fish.

mimo91088
You bought a nerite which is indeed laying eggs. They lay tons of eggs in freshwater still, they just become duds. However it also looks like you brought in bladder snails. Their eggs look almost like a bunch of frog eggs in the shape of a jellybean but much smaller. They're also mostly clear so you need to look very close for them. As such, it's very easy for them to sneak in to a tank. Have you added plants at all? Eggs on plants is the most common way to get them.

mattgirl
Shelbieg98 said:
This is the momma snail.
image.jpg
And the eggs are the white specks. They’re all over the tank and I clean the tank regularly so this happened during Christmas break when we left. We currently have no live plants and we have not added any new fish since July 2020
image.jpg
This is indeed a nerite snail and those are nerite snail eggs but as has been pointed out the eggs won't grow into snails. I don't know how you got them but I feel sure some other kind of snail got in this tank at some time or another. We need a good picture of them before we can identify what species of snails they are.

a pest snail egg could have even come in on your nerite.

Shelbieg98
No
mimo91088 said:
You bought a nerite which is indeed laying eggs. They lay tons of eggs in freshwater still, they just become duds. However it also looks like you brought in bladder snails. Their eggs look almost like a bunch of frog eggs in the shape of a jellybean but much smaller. They're also mostly clear so you need to look very close for them. As such, it's very easy for them to sneak in to a tank. Have you added plants at all? Eggs on plants is the most common way to get them.
nope I have 0 new plants we don’t even have live plants in my tank. I have looked everywhere for other eggs but haven’t found any I have even moved stuff in my tank.
mattgirl said:
This is indeed a nerite snail and those are nerite snail eggs but as has been pointed out the eggs won't grow into snails. I don't know how you got them but I feel sure some other kind of snail got in this tank at some time or another. We need a good picture of them before we can identify what species of snails they are.

a pest snail egg could have even come in on your nerite.
but that’s been 6 months ago when we got the nerite wouldn’t I have seen the babies way later?
I will definitely have to post pictures when the babies get bigger right now they’re still so small.

Theulli
I actually have come around on pest snails. An assassin snail or two to keep the pop from getting egregious, and then any I catch with my tweezers are a welcome snack for tetras!

You can get snail outbreaks from really unexpected places - I had a single mystery snail hatch a billion eggs because it carried them in. Mystified me where the snails were coming from until I found the remnants of the best under the hood

mattgirl
Shelbieg98 said:
but that’s been 6 months ago when we got the nerite wouldn’t I have seen the babies way later?
I will definitely have to post pictures when the babies get bigger right now they’re still so small.
I don't know. By the time I saw the first ramshorn snail in my big tank I was already over run with them. I ended up with so many of them I finally added assassins snails to take care of what I considered a problem at the time. I no longer consider them pest snails. They really do have their place in our tanks. You really don't want to add assassins as long as your nerite is in there though. The assassins could possibly eat it.

Both bladder and pond snails can look a lot like a nerite when they are tiny.

Mhamilton0911
This is what likely happened, a baby bladder snail hitchhiked on the nerite's shell, or even possible that an adult laid eggs on the nerites shell. One can equal many more in 6 months.

Shelbieg98
Update: so I was going through tank and found the mother load a huge clear jelly sack FULL of pest snails and eggs. So therefore we are gonna be cleaning out tank and taking everything apart to clean it all out. As I feel so bad my sons sad, we don’t have a big tank so we really can’t have anymore little guys in our tank. And there was Atleast 40-50 babies in the filter never thought it would’ve happened to me nor do I know how, I haven’t added anything to the tank and we just cleaned it about a month ago.

mimo91088
Shelbieg98 said:
Update: so I was going through tank and found the mother load a huge clear jelly sack FULL of pest snails and eggs. So therefore we are gonna be cleaning out tank and taking everything apart to clean it all out. As I feel so bad my sons sad, we don’t have a big tank so we really can’t have anymore little guys in our tank. And there was Atleast 40-50 babies in the filter never thought it would’ve happened to me nor do I know how, I haven’t added anything to the tank and we just cleaned it about a month ago.
Alternatively you can just leave them and the population will balance out and they'll help keep your tank clean. When you really look at it and weigh how much they poop vs how much stuff they eat that would otherwise foul your water, I actually find having bladder snails to DECREASE the bioload of a tank.

StarGirl
Shelbieg98 said:
You could get a filter intake sponge and it will keep them out of the filter. They do even out. What size tank do you have and what is in it?

erinw347
I dont suggest cleaning out your tank, you might crash your cycle. Additionally, bladder snails are next to impossible to eliminate. It will save you a lot of work if you just leave them be; they won’t bug anything.

Latest threads

Top Bottom