Nerite snail and ghost shrimp?

Bloodfeather

Hello everyone!

So, I'm considering getting 2 ghost shrimp for my big tank as there is always some excess food, waste, and occassionally some kind of white, papery, gooey stuff. They seem like a perfectly viable option.

I don't have the money for a gravel vac, sadly, and a couple of shrimpy bois seem like they'd do the job!

On another note, I'd love to have a nerite snail!
In the tank, I currently have 4 mollies and 2 black kuhli loaches.

It is lightly planted, and soon I'm hoping to get driftwood with some java moss.

Could I add in 2 ghost shrimp and a snail?

The tank is 10-15 gallon (unsure, lol. It almost seems like 13 gallons so thats what I usually say)
I have a 15 gallon bio-filter that hangs off the back, a small bubbler strip, and a standard heater set to heat for a sub-tropical community tank (75-82 degrees farenheit)
It has standard aquarium gravel.

Currently, I have 2 cave ornaments, but the big one will be replaced by the driftwood soon.

Advice?

SM1199

Yes - but your mollies might see the ghost shrimp as the perfect snack! The shrimp themselves are often fed as feeders and you can get them for mere cents, though, so it won't be a huge loss if they don't work out. The snail will be fine.

Blueberrybetta

Nerite snails are perfect for algae and any leftover waste, you could easily fit 2- 4 nerites, considering they wont be able to repopulate in freshwater.

Shrimp are very sensitive to water quality and any parameter drops, which can result in molting issues & leading to death. They also require a well established tank, that way there's stable parameters and a good biofilm. You'll need to check your gH/kH as well to make sure you have to right minerals for healthy molting

Bloodfeather

After doing some more research, I don't think either will work in my tank without a lot of changes. Any other suggestions as to easy scavengers that will clean excess food out of the gravel and fake plants?

wishuponafish

It sounds like you're overfeeding. Dialing that down will keep your tank cleaner, they act like they're always starving but they'll be fine with much less food.

Nothing will be a substitute for regular maintenance, but the monkey's paw solution would be to add malaysian trumpet or ramshorn snails. If you keep overfeeding, given a few weeks they will multiply until there's enough to clean all that up every night... but you'll have hundreds, maybe thousands.

Bloodfeather

The problem I was running into when researching snails is that with the amount of waste they produce they would need constant water changes. It is really hard for me to do water changes as is, but to do more? Talk about trouble.

SM1199

Sav038 said:
The problem I was running into when researching snails is that with the amount of waste they produce they would need constant water changes. It is really hard for me to do water changes as is, but to do more? Talk about trouble.
A nerite or two would add a small enough bioload that you don't need to increase or change your water change schedule. If you got a bunch of mystery snails, on the other hand, that would be a problem.

Bloodfeather

Thank you ^^
When I was reading a few care guides, they said that nerites produced a lot of waste and needed constant 25-30% water changes.

faydout

I don't mean this to sound snooty or preachy in any way, but in my very humble opinion, you should invest in a better water change / vacuum before thinking about adding driftwood or java moss. It isn't sexy, I know... but weekly 50% water changes are going to do a lot more good for your situation than some snails, shrimp, or driftwood can do for you.

Bloodfeather

I do 25-30% water changes about twice a week ^^
and no problem, I'm a relatively new keeper and any advice is appreciated.

I just did almost a half-tank water change yesterday.

wishuponafish

Sav038 said:
What goes in can only come out through water changes, and right now it sounds like lots of fish food is going in so you need lots of water changes whether you have snails or not. (A molly probably produces more waste than 10 snails.) Many fish can survive several weeks without food so you can definitely afford to feed less; feeding half as much almost means half as many water changes.

I have 5 adult and 60+ young mollies, I give them a total of 2 algae wafers + a pinch of flakes a day and they're doing great. (Brackish water changes get expensive so I tone down the feeding.)

Bloodfeather

Ok, thank you for the information!

I was really hoping for a shrimp, but seeing as ghosts need such special care are there any easier shrimp to care for? I could get 1 amano or cherry maybe?

I feed my mollies 2 tiny pinches of flakes a day, and my loaches get one small algae wafer and a shrimp pellet at night as I have 2 with different tastes lol.

wishuponafish

I have all 3 types of shrimp and I would say ghosts are one of the easiest with amano being #1... but sometimes it just doesn't work out. I recommend trying out ghosts first, they aren't hard to keep and you can get 10-20 of those for the price of 1 amano.
Snails and shrimp eat fish poop as well so their waste is "recycled" and won't add much waste compared to what you already have; I'd say try them out if your nitrates aren't super high.

You could try identifying which of the foods is left over in the morning and giving less of that.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom