Nerite Say Nerite

AirstoND

I was constantly getting diatom regrowth, possibly from play sand, around substrate/tank bottom. Scrub, Wipe, Regrowth, Scrub, Wipe, Regrowth,etc,etc,

I got a tiger nerite and the next morning noticed one side of tank cleaned of it I have a yellow mystery who I would occasionally see chomping on it, but not like this nerite.

The bettas could not believe it either(Sorry they were staring at me during the picture taking so I had to)

Attachments

• nerite.jpg
    nerite.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 217
  • betta.jpg
    betta.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 197

fbn

I got 2 nerites, algae went bye bye VERY quickly!

pirahnah3

wow fantastic cleaning crew!

Fishkeeper99

how many nerites could I put in a 10 gallon aquarium

jerilovesfrogs

nerites are great i'd say you could put 2 nerites in a 10g.

btw....do you have 2 bettas in the same tank??

FLGirl

btw....do you have 2 bettas in the same tank??

I wondered the same thing..illusion? Incredibly invisible divider? Breeding perhaps?

and yes, nerites are great! I have horned and a zebra nerite. Great little snails, very pretty as well.

AirstoND

Yeah ...

..They're all in the same 10 gallon tank ..Everything Zen...until someone posts..I don't think so. There's a lot of wisteria, duckweed, and two dwarf lilies. Males spends his time on lily pads/bubblenest and female curls herself in wisteria on tank's opposite side. There's enough room for both and no aggresion, both probably thought it was feeding time. I read it's good practice to first have a female in the tank, then added the crowntail male. I also have of video of their courtship, but don't know how to post it.

Back to the original topic.... front side is cleaned(check pic), nerite is working on heading to the opposite side now

Attachments

• DSC02409.JPG
    DSC02409.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC02412.JPG
    DSC02412.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

AirstoND

Before & After Nerite

Woke up this morning and my mystery snail's shell is moss/algea free after getting tiger nerite.

Attachments

• MTS.JPG
    MTS.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 202
  • After Nerite.JPG
    After Nerite.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 131

fbn

Hahaha nice!!

pirahnah3

now that's a heck of a cleaning service!

angelou

nerites are da bomb. I adore mine

only useful creatures in the house!

Jayfeather9

I need those! My mystery snails don't give a about algae there all for the flakes! Nerited are totally what I need!

FishLiz

I'm thinking of getting a couple of nerite snails for our tank, but I read that they are sensitive to high levels of nitrates? We're still working on getting our newish tank down from 40ppm nitrates. (We're using the API master kit for testing.) The danios we have seem happy, but then, I hear it takes a lot to get danio down.

What kind of nitrate level do you try and maintain to keep the nerites whistling while they work?

Liz

AirstoND

I'm thinking of getting a couple of nerite snails for our tank, but I read that they are sensitive to high levels of nitrates? We're still working on getting our newish tank down from 40ppm nitrates. (We're using the API master kit for testing.) The danios we have seem happy, but then, I hear it takes a lot to get danio down.

What kind of nitrate level do you try and maintain to keep the nerites whistling while they work?

Liz

I keep it in the yellow(API KIT 10ppm). I am also considering Nitro-Zorb, but it's been easier to just change water.

Top Bottom