Nerite Question

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
1,154
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
I just got these guys today and honestly they look nothing like the pictures online. Are they ok?!


IMG_3011.jpeg


IMG_3009.jpeg
 

Danny002

Well Known
Member
Messages
511
Reaction score
333
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
Their shells look a little banged up, but I can't tell if that's just glare on the water. I'd get them in some good water with some food and go from there.
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
1,487
Experience
4 years
Yeah those are nerites but their shells do look banged up , but they should be fine. I would give them some good blanched veggies and calcium to help their shells recover
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
509
Reaction score
552
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
As everyone has said they do look like they need some TLC but some calcium and veggies should work wonders...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
1,154
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
Danny002 said:
Their shells look a little banged up, but I can't tell if that's just glare on the water. I'd get them in some good water with some food and go from there.
Blueberrybetta said:
Yeah those are nerites but their shells do look banged up , but they should be fine. I would give them some good blanched veggies and calcium to help their shells recover
SeaMonkey06 said:
As everyone has said they do look like they need some TLC but some calcium and veggies should work wonders...

Thank you all. I feel awful that they had to go through so much to get here. Some padding seems like it would have been nice for them in transit. :\
I've got them in a small tank with calcium and I'll get them some blanched veggies shortly.

They don't look anything like the pictures online..
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
509
Reaction score
552
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
Addictedtobettas said:
Thank you all. I feel awful that they had to go through so much to get here. Some padding seems like it would have been nice for them in transit. :\
I've got them in a small tank with calcium and I'll get them some blanched veggies shortly.

They don't look anything like the pictures online..
Poor guys. Sounds like the right think to do, sure they'll appreciate it.

That sucks! Did you get into contact with the seller? I definitely would, that's not ok to false advertise like that.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
1,154
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
SeaMonkey06 said:
Poor guys. Sounds like the right think to do, sure they'll appreciate it.

That sucks! Did you get into contact with the seller? I definitely would, that's not ok to false advertise like that.
Yeah I emailed them. I more upset by their condition than appearances. Just shocking to see them with broken shells and missing thorns. Didn’t smell too swell in that bag either.

I’ll just remember to buy from aquaticarts or folks I trust going forward.
 

Debbie1986

Well Known
Member
Messages
644
Reaction score
514
Poor guys look like they say combat! they are in rough shape. I hope they all pull through okay
 

Falena

Well Known
Member
Messages
866
Reaction score
1,067
Experience
5 to 10 years
Poor lil things. Its shocking they arrived in such condition.
Very inconsiderate seller, they are pretty beat up :(
Crossing my fingers for you and them, I hope you are able to nurse them all back to good health. Once they're better they should look like how they were supposed to. Horned nerites are beautiful.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
1,154
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
LivebearerMom said:
Can you tell us who you got them from?
Unfortunately these came from aquariumplantsfactory. I’ve gotten trapdoor and assassin snails from them before that I was happy with but these guys recently? Not so much.
They look like they made it out of a war zone. My last batch of trapdoors didn’t look so good and 1 assassin straight up disappeared/died from their shell.

The trapdoors actually appears to have spawned a couple babies so I’m happy about that but I don’t think I’ll order from them again, or at least for a while now.
Plants are decent, livestock... hmm.

Aquaticarts is so far better in their shipment quality overall and they send overnight, with padding.

But truthfully, I think I’m going to give livestock shopping online a break for a while. Things are stressful and crazy at every step of those fishes/shrimp/snails existence right now and I’m hesitant to bring that into my tanks.

Edit: to aquariumplantsfactory’s credit they do give a 15 day live guarantee and they typically send 1-2 extra shrimp/snail along which is cool. But I’m still not happy with the condition they arrived in at all.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
1,154
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
Well, 4 have flat out died. 2 others smell like they're on their way out if not already gone.

Is it possible for snails to smell like sewage and not be dead? :(
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
509
Reaction score
552
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
Addictedtobettas said:
Well, 4 have flat out died. 2 others smell like they're on their way out if not already gone.

Is it possible for snails to smell like sewage and not be dead? :(
That really sucks. Usually if they're dead, you can smell it. :( Hope they're not.

Sorry about your bad experience and R.I.P little Nerites
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
281
Guests online
3,329
Total visitors
3,610

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom