Nerite Puffer Food?

scotty b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i think they would hurt the puffer ive herd mts and apple snails are bad and i think that nerites are about the same shell density as the mysterys but i dont know for sure,.

nerites need brackish water to breed

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

"Green Spotted Puffers will usually eat everything they can, and will literally eat themselves to death. It's better to give them a smaller, healthy diet rather than overfeeding. Variety is the key. The most important food for them is snails that are about the size of their eyes. The shells of these snails will wear down their beak-like teeth, which would grow so long that they would no longer be able to eat. The largest part of their diet is crustaceans. They are pure carnivores, and love meaty foods." ...from the link below:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/nov08/greenspottedpuffer.htm

I would suggest Pond Snails.

Ken

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know they need snails and other crusties, I just need to find out if nerites specifically are OK, as I know there are some snails with shells too hard for these guys.

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pond snails have thin shells and is ideal. Ramshorn is a bit tough when big. The ideal would be if half of the shell would fit in their mouth. A little bigger and they will not be able to eat it in one sitting and may just end up half eaten and rot away.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I figured I'd just give him the ones at an appropriate size...hmmm.
He already gets pond and ramshorns...I was just hoping for something with a little more pizazz since they're living in my main tank. That IS a bit of an issue if they need brackish water to breed, though.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

Scott b is correct and Nerites do need brackish water in order for the eggs to hatch.

I have a piece of driftwood in my 265g tank with a good many Nerite eggs and they've been there for some time now. I've never had any to hatch in fresh water.

Ken

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

When it comes to smashing snails, please do not use your fingers or bare hand. There was a thread a while back with information concerning a nasty infection one received by smashing snails.

Please be careful

Ken

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okey-dokey I appreciate the input! Maybe I'll get some mystery snails (or a batch of purple ramshorns..). I've been really wishing I had some purple in my tank and they both appear to come in that color.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom