Nerite Puffer Food?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Eienna, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Would Nerite Snails be acceptable Green Spotted Puffer food? I'm thinking about getting a few Zebras and breeding as food for our Kirby (and because I really like them)...but I don't know if their shells would be too hard?

2. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i think they would hurt the puffer ive herd mts and apple snails are bad and i think that nerites are about the same shell density as the mysterys but i dont know for sure,.

nerites need brackish water to breed

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

"Green Spotted Puffers will usually eat everything they can, and will literally eat themselves to death. It's better to give them a smaller, healthy diet rather than overfeeding. Variety is the key. The most important food for them is snails that are about the size of their eyes. The shells of these snails will wear down their beak-like teeth, which would grow so long that they would no longer be able to eat. The largest part of their diet is crustaceans. They are pure carnivores, and love meaty foods." ...from the link below:
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/nov08/greenspottedpuffer.htm

I would suggest Pond Snails.

Ken

4. OP
    OP
    Eienna

I know they need snails and other crusties, I just need to find out if nerites specifically are OK, as I know there are some snails with shells too hard for these guys.

5. Aquarist

Hello,

The article below suggests baby ramshorn and pond snails. Other snail shells may be too hard and break the teeth of the puffer.

Ken

6. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Pond snails have thin shells and is ideal. Ramshorn is a bit tough when big. The ideal would be if half of the shell would fit in their mouth. A little bigger and they will not be able to eat it in one sitting and may just end up half eaten and rot away.

7. OP
    OP
    Eienna

I figured I'd just give him the ones at an appropriate size...hmmm.
    He already gets pond and ramshorns...I was just hoping for something with a little more pizazz since they're living in my main tank. That IS a bit of an issue if they need brackish water to breed, though.

8. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

you could breed shrimp for your puffer they would be good food and the look cool

9. Aquarist

Hello,

Scott b is correct and Nerites do need brackish water in order for the eggs to hatch.

I have a piece of driftwood in my 265g tank with a good many Nerite eggs and they've been there for some time now. I've never had any to hatch in fresh water.

Ken

10. OP
    OP
    Eienna

OK. Thank you.

11. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm afraid the shells are too hard for them. You'd have to smash each snail before feeding. I fed mine lots of Ghost Shrimp which I bred. I also fed Mystery Snails and Apple Snails which I smashed for them before feeding.

12. Aquarist

Hello,

When it comes to smashing snails, please do not use your fingers or bare hand. There was a thread a while back with information concerning a nasty infection one received by smashing snails.

Please be careful :)

Ken

13. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

I concur! Always use gloves no matter what! I bought some kitchen gloves that are for tank use only.

14. OP
    OP
    Eienna

Okey-dokey :) I appreciate the input! Maybe I'll get some mystery snails (or a batch of purple ramshorns..). I've been really wishing I had some purple in my tank and they both appear to come in that color.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice