Nerite got a chipped shell

Discussion in 'Snails' started by TikiBird, Aug 7, 2015.

1. TikiBird

TikiBirdWell Known MemberMember

Bought a new nerite snail today, and the fish store employee dropped him against the table. I should have thought to check his shell after that, but I didn't. Now I see he's got a chip and a crack. I've read that depending on the size of the damage the snail can repair it, but I'm not sure if this qualifies as big or little damage. Thoughts? Will he get better on his own? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438991477.146820.jpg

2. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

He'll likely always have a mark there but it looks like it's mostly surface damage so I think he'll be fine. One of my mystery snails had a huge crack when I got her and it partially healed over. You can still see it but it doesn't seem to bother her. Just make sure you give your nerite plenty of calcium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

Offer plenty of calcium and the snail should be fine. Surface damage to the shell can often be recovered. Damage to the shell that is much deeper is when you will experience more issues. Good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    TikiBird

TikiBirdWell Known MemberMember