Nerite Disappearance

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so I have put at least 1 nerite in 5 different tanks.

I started getting a minor amount of algae on the glass is 3 tanks. That started me nerite hunting and I can only find 1 out of 5-6 i’ve stocked.

For the first month or 2 I could usually account for most of them. The last 2 nights I searched and only found 1, the one I moved 2 days ago to halo with the algae issue. At the same time, I have 1-2 Mystery snails in these tanks too and they are fine.

Is It possible they ate the algae and starved? These are all 20-36 gallon tanks.

Or i’m just not looking hard enough?

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
they’re either hiding or they climbed out. nerites are notorious for climbing out of tanks, but they can survive somewhere between 24-72 hours out of water (though I don’t reccomend finding out) so normally if you find them you can plop them back in and they are perfectly fine. Odds that they ate all the algae is basically 0, there’s a constant supply of biofilm in your aquarium for them to feed on, so realistically starving isn’t a huge issue. As for hiding, sometimes i go 3-4 days without seeing any of my 3 snails, and without fail they always appear again. They’re masters of their craft - eating, hiding, leaving the aquarium

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kristian Acevedo said:
they’re either hiding or they climbed out. nerites are notorious for climbing out of tanks, but they can survive somewhere between 24-72 hours out of water (though I don’t reccomend finding out) so normally if you find them you can plop them back in and they are perfectly fine. Odds that they ate all the algae is basically 0, there’s a constant supply of biofilm in your aquarium for them to feed on, so realistically starving isn’t a huge issue. As for hiding, sometimes i go 3-4 days without seeing any of my 3 snails, and without fail they always appear again. They’re masters of their craft - eating, hiding, leaving the aquarium
What I was hoping.

In my 20 long, heavily planted, dirty betta tank I regularly saw one that had burrowed himself on the glass, under the sand covering the soil. If I hadn’t been able to see below the substrate, I would never see him. He could be under the substrate where the background covers it.

The other? Always easy to find and that’s the one I moved a few days ago to the tank with the most algae, and I found him today.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 5 in a 20g and rarely see more than two at a time. Occasionally during events like a rescape I will find all of them. But even then, I've pulled a bunch of decor and scoured it looking for missing nerites and still not found them all, on one occasion I was in my kitchen the evening after a large rescape (about 10 hours had passed) and I hear something tink in the bucket of rocks near the door I'd pulled from the tank.... Sounded suspiciously similar to snails when they tink into a bowl for these things. I went and carefully dug all the way up the bottom of the bucket of large hardscape stones and voila TWO of my nerites were just chilling, doors closed up at the bottom of the bucket (no water). Dropped them back in the tank and within a few minutes both were cruising around their freshly redesigned tank. They'd hung out in a tote with a towel for a couple hours while I did everything then moved to the bucket and never left their hidey holes. Lucky boogers had quite an adventure that day.

I also have about 18 other nerites in various tanks and in the span of just about two years that I've been keeping them I lost one that crawled out and I didn't find until it was too late and one because I rearranged some hardscape to reduce some arguing in a tank (those same hardscape stones) and found him during the next mix up it'd apparently hidden away where I couldn't find him and the stone was placed in a way he couldn't get back to the open tank. I felt terrible when I found his hollowed out shell. That stone is not used in my tanks anymore and that's one of the reasons.

So yes, they disappear, usually my experience with them climbing out is that they don't go too awful far but will easily fall off furniture and cats can bat them quite a distance if you have cats so look around your tank and nearby furniture.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mine hide on the inside sides of coconut houses. Sometimes I dont see them for days. But if they like it there... Even if they would get eaten or climb out, I think you would discover the shells eventually

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Located another one.

But i’ve Forgotten how many I had in each tank(-:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom