Nerite Behavior

Discussion in 'Snails' started by fjh, Apr 19, 2017.

1. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Hello all!

So today I came home to find one of my nerites on the wall of my tank, completely dry (but miraculous alive). I stuck him/her back in the tank, and he's moving around like normal now. This particular little guy is at the water line half the time, but I never thought it out of the ordinary. Should I be concerned? Is he/she sick? Is there anything normal water tests can't pick up that might cause him to leave the water?

My second Nerite (different tank) is not nearly as active as this guy. The suicide snail is young and small, about the size of a nickel, where my 2nd guy is a little larger than a quarter. Could their differences in behavior just be age? I am not sure exactly how old they are.

Pictures of my little guy when u got home (please ignore the tank behind it):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I have some snails that sit right up on the water line of the tank and will stay there all day. I think they are getting stuff off the top of the water column. I've heard of them going up when nitrates are high, and possibly phosphates as well...but don't quote me on the phosphates :)

3. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Mine did that constantly. Maybe they're just strange like that. He actually used to try to get to the light fixture.

4. OP
    OP
    fjh

Phosphates how do I check for phosphates?!
    Nitrates are fine, did a wc yesterday actually...

Yeah, my mysteries like to sit at the water line too ;) I'm just concerned about my nerites drying himself out!

5. APierce

Api actually sells a test kit for fresh water and salt water :)

6. OP
    OP
    fjh

Fried snail anyone? I really home mine doesn't do that!!
    I only have freshwater tanks...

Is there a liquid phosphate test in the master kit? I have a random assortment of tests... 3 different ph tests, 1 ammonia, 2 nitrite, 1 nitrate, 1 kh, and 1 chlorine/chloride. I also have old test strips, but never use those and they don't have the phosphate on there either.

I could always go buy an individual phosphate tester if you think that's a problem..?

7. APierce

I didn't get the master kit, I got things individually. The test I'm talking about is good for both fresh and salt water tanks. just like the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests are. (I guess if you buy them individually they come with both cards for fresh and salt, mine did at least)

I wouldn't worry about it too much though unless all your snails start doing it.

8. OP
    OP
    fjh

Ah, okay that makes sense. Thanks :)

Also, he/she is the only snail in that tank. My other Nerite is in my 40g atm with one mystery, any my other mystery is in a 10g.
    Should I move the Nerite to a different tank? Plenty of room in the 40g, or I have another 10g that is currently snail-less.

9. KarenSoCal

KarenSoCalWell Known MemberMember

I have a nerite that sits completely out of the water all day every day. This same snail used to be in a tank with a plastic hood and light. She would crawl up in to where the bulb screwed in. She learned how to escape...now she's in a tank with a glass top.

10. APierce

If it keeps doing it, you might want to move it to another tank to see if it stops...but it might not, they are funny creatures like that :)

11. OP
    OP
    fjh

Well I moved him this morning he was on the edge of the glass again, and then I found him trying to get onto the LED
    4d67a32d091c78f9ab39518436f6304e.jpg

12. APierce

Must just like it up there!

13. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Mine are doing the same thing. They just started yesterday but I've only had them a week so... I wondered if they went up there because we don't have very much algae. Who can tell with these little guys? Picked up some algae wafers today for them and the shrimpies to munch on.

14. OP
    OP
    fjh

Lol!

Oh yummy! Who wouldn't want hard green wafers to snack on? Jkjk
    It's just weird because I have one Nerite who's super lazy and... well... moves at a snails pace, and then I have this guy, who won't stay put lol

15. APierce

I just found an astrea snail where the water comes out of my filter in my sw tank, so I guess sometimes they just really like to be where we think they shouldn't be Lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice