Neptune progress Report - optimistic

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well it has been a few days since I posted regarding finrot/cycling tank/frustration. :-[

I finally decided to not be so intimidated by this whole thing. My order from Foster & Smith finally arrived, so I now have two good Ammonia test kits, M & M2, maracyn plus and a vitamin that Rose recommended, and Trisulfa ( which I never did use). Mike - thanks for helping me do measurements/dilutions for a 6 G tank!

So I did a 50% water change, ran the carbon filter ( actually overnight) to remove the Fungus Eliminator and decided to start fresh. In the morning ( I removed the carbon) I medicated with Maracyn Plus, which I find much easier to use since it is liquid and you remedicate day 3 & 5. ( & it treats gram neg & gram pos bacteria) Neptunes tail had already shown significant healing, but the long tail part had some raggy spots.

My new test kits showed first 0pp and now .25ppm Ammonia so I didn't have to do water changes while medicating. Tomorrow is day 5, so just one more day... ( the Ammonia test kit I had was outdated and they don't make that one anymore - thanks Walmart for selling it to me 3 weeks ago! :-\

I am trying to relax some and am optimistic that the tank may now be able to cycle - without the constant water changes - no matter how much Neptune enjoyed the interaction!

Oddly enough, Neptune is oblivious to all the drama, still eats pellets; blood worms 9 grabs them right off the forcep) and his pea treat with gusto - and whips around the tank as though letting me know that "Life is Good". LOL ;D

Many thanks again to those of you who got me going, kept me supported and were so generous with your information sharing. I kinda ended up doing my own thing using Maracyn Plus since it seemed it would be less stressful for Neptune and myself, however, I now have the best stocked first aid kit and test kit ever and am prepared for just about anything. Best of all I am feeling more confident and not freaking out when I have to put something into the tank.

Thanks everyone! ( Now let's hope I haven't cursed myself/Neptune!) Val :-\

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you are doing the very best you are able. Good luck and prayers for success!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for the update and we are glad he is doing better. Keep up the good work,

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm glad tha Neptune is doing well and everything id working out better for you. Natalie

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good to see Neptune is in good spirits and, from what it would seem, not showing further deterioration.  If you think he's over the fin rot, you might want to finish out the current treatment and give Neptune a med break.  If he starts showing signs again, then you might want to give the Maracyn 2 a try.

Good luck.

Mike

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom