Nep L008 Leapard Peckoltia Pleco Sunken Belly Not Interested In Food

mdjrnc

Valued Member
Reaction score
I picked up a new pleco just last week and have not seen him eat. I have been feeding at night a few pellets for him to get to and have noticed he is active and out and moves a lot but I have not seen him go for food. He also has a bit of a sunken belly. I have trested using api general cure for any internal parasites and also with ich x because I saw a spot of it on him when I first picked him up. I have tried shrimp pellets, hikari carnivore wafers, hikari herbivore wafers and a few micro pellets but he seemingly has not gotten to them or has not shown intrest in them. If anyone has ideas on foods to try that would be great. I do feed frozen foods for all the other fish he has in there so maybe a chunk of whole krill for him to suck on?
b5f93a7b1ea3fc25daa5fcaed9ad2a31.jpg
c017b424e6f8376dce72be0a76c21a50.jpg

lol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If it's any consolation, I have had my group of L134 Peckoltia compta plecos for over a year and have never actually seen them eat anything. They obviously are eating because they've been doing fine for all this time and have fattened up a bit, but I've never seen them actually touch food. They don't seem to care about food when I put it in during the day with the lights on, so I only feed at night. I feed them Nutrafin Bug Bites pellets, Tropical brand discus pellets (heard those were pretty good for these guys even though they aren't quite discus), and I've have tried zucchini though they don't eat it, and plan on feeding them freeze-dried bloodworms once I get their tank cleaned up.

Of course, there could actually be something wrong with your pleco, in which case it's beyond something I could help with.

mdjrnc

Valued Member
Reaction score
lol said:
If it's any consolation, I have had my group of L134 Peckoltia compta plecos for over a year and have never actually seen them eat anything. They obviously are eating because they've been doing fine for all this time and have fattened up, but I've never seen them actually touch food. They don't seem to care about food when I put it in during the day with the lights on, so I only feed at night.

Of course, there could actually be something wrong with your pleco, in which case it's beyond something I could help with.
What type of food do you feed? Also I love the L134. Absolutely stunning fish.

lol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mdjrnc said:
What type of food do you feed? Also I love the L134. Absolutely stunning fish.
Hah I just edited my original comment to add which foods I feed. Nutrafin bug bites pellets, Tropical brand discus pellets, and Omega One veggie rounds. I have freeze-dried bloodworms that I'm going to start feeding them semi-regularly once I get their tank cleaned up. I've heard the bloodworms are a pretty good food for L134 and probably by extension your Peckoltia but I can't yet confirm anything about them myself.

mdjrnc

Valued Member
Reaction score
lol said:
Hah I just edited my original comment to add which foods I feed. Nutrafin bug bites pellets, Tropical brand discus pellets, and Omega One veggie rounds. I have freeze-dried bloodworms that I'm going to start feeding them semi-regularly once I get their tank cleaned up. I've heard the bloodworms are a pretty good food for L134 and probably by extension your Peckoltia but I can't yet confirm anything about them myself.
Intresting. I feed a lot of frozen foods and accidentally just bought jumbo frozen blood worms. The tank hes in right now is a 20 tall and I'm growing him out a bit in there with all my micro fish. I'll have to try a few of the blood worms because my other fish can't eat those so if they dissapear it would have to be him. Thanks for the response. I'll lyk if I find that he is eating the worms.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom