Neons With Betta???

SpookaSpooka

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So my dad wanted a fish tank for his birthday/father's day. He wanted a betta and doesn't have a lot of room, so I got him a marineland 5 gal starter kit with a tetra heater and I'm cycling it right now. The problem is, he wants to put some neon tetras in there with the betta. I'm A beginner myself, having only had my fish for about a month, but I'm pretty sure neons need a 20 gallon minimum and are notorious fin nippers (correct me if I'm wrong please). He kept neons when he was a kid/teenager, in tiny tanks, so I'm having a hard time convincing him that this is a bad idea. I tried selling him on some shrimps or a snail but they're "not as exciting." I know that, ultimately, he'll do what he wants, but I'd feel bad if I didn't try my hardest to convince him not to put the neons in there. I guess my question is, how do I convince him that neons do not belong with a betta in a five gallon tank?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Other than showing him this forum I don't know! Maybe show him footage of wild populations of neons so he can see how much more spectacular they'll be in a good-sized group.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Neon Tetras require cooler water than bettas, and yes they'll nip fins. They 20 gallon long to be able to swim normally.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sure you will get several responses, so I say show him these posts.

Neons need far larger than a 5gal to be happy and healthy. I agree that a 20gal in the minimum tank size for them. They need to be in school of 8+ to make them feel secure and to curb fin nipping. They are very active swimmers (hence the needed space) and bettas are rather slow and inactive swimmers. It is likely the betta may become stressed by the active fish, have its fins nipped at, leaving the betta open to infection.

Then there's the possibility of the betta being one of the meaner ones and he attacks and kills the neons. This is why it is best to keep bettas on their own. The only thing to do well in a 5gal would be just a betta and maybe a snail or two, that is all.

Bleu

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Like the other posters have said, they need a way larger tank then just 5 Gallons. I use to have Neons in a 30 Gallon tank with a betta.. My betta was no where near aggressive, they would non-stop nip at his fins. I ended up re-homing them. (This was a few years back.)

I recommend getting some of the smaller species of cories to pair with the betta... Cory's have large personalities, and are no where near boring, while tetras are a little more on the boring side..

(Edit: 20 Gallon Hexagon tanks you can get from PetSmart will do you good, and since he doesn't have much space, they'll be helpful.)

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have never had a mystery snail, you have no idea how interesting they actually are. Get him an albino. Those are the ones in my tank that I can see the nose, mouth, and snorkel best with.

OP
SpookaSpooka

SpookaSpooka

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for everyone's replies! I'm still working on him but I'm hopeful I'll sell him on a snail!

New Threads