Neons with betta imbellis?

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I’ve been setting up a tank for my boyfriend, and the inhabitants are on their way currently (1 blue ramshorn snail, 1 lovely blue betta imbellis (Can you guess what his favorite color is? :hilarious:) and I know he likes neon tetras, so I’m wondering if anyone thinks I could add some neons into the tank too? Or would the betta be likely to eat them? Or would they bug the betta too much? How’s their bioload? I’ve never had neons before and am unfamiliar with their behavior

Also, if it is an acceptable idea to include some in the tank - how many? It’s only a 10 gallon

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Personally, I believe that wild Bettas do best in a species only tank. While wild Bettas can be housed with other fish, just remember that faster moving fish will often out-compete the Betta for food.

SaberKillerWystan

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure 6 is fine cause they r peaceful but r u sure it’s an imbellis? I would need a pic pls

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Crispii said:
Personally, I believe that wild Bettas do best in a species only tank. While wild Bettas can be housed with other fish, just remember that faster moving fish will often out-compete the Betta for food.
Fair enough. Didn’t even think about speed. If that’s the only concern though, I could always try it and either return the neons or move them to another tank if they’re too quick food-wise.

SaberKillerWystan said:
I’m pretty sure 6 is fine cause they r peaceful but r u sure it’s an imbellis? I would need a pic pls
I am sure it’s an imbellis, it’s from a reputable breeder and I have done my research on that, but as it’s not in my possession yet, the only photos I have are taken by someone else so if I post them they’ll get taken down (I have tried before and despite the fact I had permission to post them they still got removed for copyright soooo)

New Threads