Neons vs platys with betta

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a male betta in a 10 gallon tank that I am planning to make a community tank. The betta was with some chilI rasboras and didn't bother them at all, but unfortunately the chilis died a few days after they got into my tank (they looked sick from when I brought them home, I hoped it would resolve in the bigger tank but they all died). He's very passive and sweet, and I have never seen him flare. I want to put some other fish in his tank with him, he has some nerite snails in there right now but that's it. I was originally going to go with 6-8 neon tetras, but now I am thinking about doing 3 platys instead. Thoughts? I am torn between the two.
My water perameters (in case it matters) are: ph 7.0, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, and I keep the temperature at 78 degrees.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Platies can be a little nippy. And neon tetras really need a longer tank then a 10 gallon, but It can work.
I would get some microrasbora or some more ember tetras

Kay 240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think platys like it cooler. I have a male betta in a 29 with bronze corys and neon tetras. The tetras follow him around like minions. I have also pushed the temperature range and put platys with bettas, some were ok others chased the platys

OP
P

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read somewhere that platys like 70-80 degrees, do they like cooler temps?

Kay 240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just checked 65 to 77 per fishlore, bad memory on my part, sorry

OP
P

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No problem.
What would you recommend? Neons or platys? I am pretty set on doing one of those two, and am going to get the fish tomorrow.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
pattersonbear said:
No problem.
What would you recommend? Neons or platys? I am pretty set on doing one of those two, and am going to get the fish tomorrow.
I wouldn’t do either, as I said above platies can be very nippy and while you can do 6 neons they wouldn’t be the best idea for a 10 gal.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
pattersonbear said:
Okay. So what do you recommend?
DdI you not read my first post? I would get some micro Rasboras or some more ember tetras.

Kay 240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you ok with the betta eating the fry? Because platys are generous that way.

OP
P

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CoryFan said:
DdI you not read my first post? I would get some micro Rasboras or some more ember tetras.
Aah sorry I did read it. I will look into them.

I am completely okay with the betta eating the fry, I don't want the platys to spawn.

Kay 240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think neons are ok in a 10 and check my post did I over stock my 10 gallon. Several others agreed

Lakenvelderin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
pattersonbear said:
Aah sorry I did read it. I will look into them.

I am completely okay with the betta eating the fry, I don't want the platys to spawn.
Honestly I'm pretty sure neons are alright in a 10. You won't be able to have a giant, beautiful school, but 6 or so should be alright given plenty of things to explore. I have heard of tetras sometimes getting nippy, though I have had rummynoses interact briefly with a betta and they hardly looked at him.

New Threads