Neons versus Cardinals

1. lp89

lp89 Valued Member Member

I searched this topic before posting, but couldn't find any other threads. My apologies if I missed it.

I'd love to hear from people who have kept both species. What were the main differences you noticed between the two?
    -Does one school more tightly than the other?
    -Is one species hardier than the other?

Thanks,

2. Goofy Gourami

Goofy Gourami New Member Member

I kept cardinals about a year ago, but they died of ich in quarantine within a week, so I couldn't really observe them. I have neons now, and they appear to be a little less hardy, but they certainly school. Neons are more sensitive to the water chemistry, as far as I've heard.

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I own a group of Black neons and they have been thrown some strange tests and have managed to live though it all... I can't say anything about cardinals though as I have never owned one...

4. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I have 6 golden neons in a 75g (they're beautiful) but they don't really school. They kind of just hang out in groups of 2 or 3 at the bottom of the tank, and they're not particularly active. They're just pretty. On the other hand, they've proved themselves to be quite hardy.

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have Neons and Cardinals. The only difference that I could see between them is the coloring ( red strip on Neons only go part of the way versus Cardinals where the red stripe on the bottom go the length of the fish ) and their sizes ( Neons being smaller )
    Right now I have 8 Neons and 5 Cardinals and they all school together. I have 6 more Neons that I just put in my QT tank on Friday so they will be ready to go in the main tank in 2 weeks. I plan to get 7 more Cardinals in a few weeks.

They are really beautiful fish and its fun watching all of them go everywhere together. Even my Glowlights and Ember tetra school with them.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Black neons are different than neons, and aren't even in the same genus.

cardinals and neons are in the same genus. The main difference I saw with them is that neons hang lower in the water, and the cardinals stayed higher. Neons prefer cooler water (low 70's) and cardinals like it warm (80+), which is why you often see cardinals with discus.

7. Junne

My cards and neons probably think they are siblings and not cousins because they all hang together - low in the water near the substrate. :)

8. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Neons appear to be more sensitive upon introduction, however become quite hardy in the long run. Cardinals are slightly less so.

Cardinals cannot usually be eaten by angelfish or other similar-sized fish, and for this reason I believe size makes all the difference.

9. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

In the past I've had better luck with Neons than Cardinals. I currently have 8 Neons in a 10 gal that I purchased on Oct 4th from Petsmart during their $1 sale. All eight have survived without any issues (knock on wood). I've come to the conclusion that luck of the draw in the breeding stock you end up buying plays a huge role in how successful any particular batch of fish will be. Very much the case with Angels I have bought as well.

10. Junne

I agree! I bought 4 neons on 10/18, then a week later I bought 10 Cardinals. The neons were doing fine and then I introduced the Cardinals ( which had a fungus ) I ended up losing 2 neons and 5 cardinals in the QT tank :( before I could get them all treated ( which was only 2 days )
    I just put them all in the main tank after 3+ weeks in the QT tank.. they seem to be doing fine and schooling with the neons I had in there before