Neons Nipping At Cardinals

1. O

Oceanblue New Member Member

So I used to have a school of 12-15 cardinal tetras. Disease broke out and I was down to 2 cardinals. Rather than shell out $4 a piece for more cardinals, I found a deal for neon tetras at $1 a piece. I bought 10 neons thinking the cardinals and neons would surely school together and be happy.

The two cardinals will try to school with the neons, successfully for a few minutes and actually seem to lead the pack at times, but then out of nowhere it's like a few neons notice they are different and chase and nip them out of the group. Once the few neons chase, the rest of the neons follow suit and all of a sudden hate the cardinals. What gives? I thought cardinals and neons could school peacefully? Is this a pecking order being established or an underlying trait of neons and cardinals not getting along?

2. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Very interesting observations. Sounds unusual behaviour to me as I've kept them together once without issues.

I have noticed Neons get more aggressive as the temp increases above 74F.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Neons show a pecking order in a group and cardinals don't.

4. OP
    OP
    O

Oceanblue New Member Member

Hmm well the lowest I can go on the temp is about 78 because I have German blue rams. The neons have accepted one of the cardinals into the group, the other is still an outcast. Very strange.

5. f

fishboy345 New Member Member

thats strange but it might be worth it to just buy a few more cardinals