Neons Dying In New Tank

Yodelhawk

Reaction score
Set up new tank Over a week ago. I seeded that with a used sponge Filter from a reliable source. Water checks out except the ph is 8.4. Same at my tap water. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are doing great. Any ideas? I'm getting frustrated. Lost about 7 fish so far. Thanks for any help anybody give.

Yodelhawk

Reaction score
Yes, water has been changed 1 time. About 10 gal out of a 36 gal tank.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I doubt you cycled your tank that fast.
I have to disagree with this statement. A tank can be instantly cycled with a well seeded sponge.

I actually keep sponge filters running in my main well stocked tank for just this purpose. I can pull one and instantly cycle another tank. Unlike bacteria in a bottle these sponges hold a complete cycle so it is just moving a cycle from one tank to another.

A mini cycle is possible but should only happen if the bio-load in the new tank is higher than the bio-load in the tank the sponge came from.

@Yodelhawk How are you acclimating the fish?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I understand. You have moved the cycle over from another tank to yours.

Assuming you have a cycle in your tank it is very likely that you have purchased fish with a Neon Tetra specific strain of columnaris disease.

This is the disease that 50% of shipments come with (according to retailers in my area) and has been established by scientific research carried out in 2012.

This is a virulent strain of the disease that originates in the fish farms and does not occur in the wild.

I have found that it is difficult to treat in the aquarium but over the long term fish can recover and carry it without dying of it, but only if conditions are near perfect for their husbandry. I have observed that when the fish are very old the disease tends to return and finish them off by infecting the gills.

19.02.07 Cube Aquarium Steve Joul (9) - Copy.jpg

Yodelhawk

Reaction score
I have to disagree with this statement. A tank can be instantly cycled with a well seeded sponge.

I actually keep sponge filters running in my main well stocked tank for just this purpose. I can pull one and instantly cycle another tank. Unlike bacteria in a bottle these sponges hold a complete cycle so it is just moving a cycle from one tank to another.

A mini cycle is possible but should only happen if the bio-load in the new tank is higher than the bio-load in the tank the sponge came from.

@Yodelhawk How are you acclimating the fish?
Placing bag in tank for temp. Then gradually adding tank water to different container after I moved fish to that and then return that to tank

Yodelhawk

Reaction score
Update :
I just spoke to a neighbor of mine who said he had the same problem when he attempted to keep a fish tank. We are on a community well and he also said that we have a high fluoride level. I'm thinking my fish are going to have to be Cullagen fish from now on

Last edited:

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Placing bag in tank for temp. Then gradually adding tank water to different container after I moved fish to that and then return that to tank
It sounds like you did all you could. Sadly neons are not very healthy fish anymore. I have lost more of them than any other fish since I set my tank back up a few years ago. Right now I have 5 but when these are gone I won't be getting any more.

Hangerator8

Reaction score
Set up new tank Over a week ago. I seeded that with a used sponge Filter from a reliable source. Water checks out except the ph is 8.4. Same at my tap water. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are doing great. Any ideas? I'm getting frustrated. Lost about 7 fish so far. Thanks for any help anybody give.
In my opinion it’s probably the ph a recommended ph for neons is around 6.5-7. I know that you can buy some products to bring your ph down.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Everytime i have purchased Neons, at least 25% die within 1-7 days. This when they are even placed in fully cycled quarantine tank.

Like others have stated, I think many Neons available from breeders have weak genetics and/or were already stressed when shipped to the fish store. Then they get stressed again going to a new tank of the fish keeper.

If you are buying the Neons from a store with the same municipal water source, then pH is probably not the problem. Otherwise they all would die in the fish store as well.

My pH is steady at 7.8 and naturally well buffered. I'm sure some fish in my community tank would prefer a lower pH, but most fish adjust perfectly fine.

What are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels ?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that farmed fish will have weak genetics. This is because they are bred for profit whilst wild fish are bred for fitness through natural selection.

Many of the fish bred on farms would not make the grade in the wild where weak fish are weeded out but they are kept on the farms because weak fish make the same money as strong ones.

But I believe that the neon-specific Columnaris strain is the main reason why Neon Tetras are so unreliable.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 16 36.4%

Top Bottom