Neons Dropping Like Flies

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Andromeda said:
A more simple (and horrible) answer may be the Neon Tetra Disease. It's quite common in neons due to their inbreeding, and I'm sorry to say there is no cure for it yet. Please read up on it and see if the symptoms match.
It is contagious and the fish usually die before the symptoms have a chance of showing themselves. This is usually the case when neons suddenly start dropping like flies.
Wow, i googled this and its almost line for line what ive seen. White spots, Fish not schooling with the others, fin rot (had noticed a couple with fins that look almost shredded) and bloating. I always had one or two hiding on the other side of the tank, i figured they were just antisocial. but mix it with the rest and it seems to fit the bill...

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know people have different experiences with neons. My own experience with them is horrible. Could be something as simple as the 0.25 ppm ammonia killing them. IMO they're not very hardy and can't tolerate any ammonia at all.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your ammonia was 0.25 which is not good, that should be your answer. You also got what sounds like sick fish so sick stressed fish plus ammonia spike... not good.
And yeah, you might want to look into neon tetra disease, I cant think of anything else that will kill all your neons.

Andromeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dcchillin said:
Wow, i googled this and its almost line for line what ive seen. White spots, Fish not schooling with the others, fin rot (had noticed a couple with fins that look almost shredded) and bloating. I always had one or two hiding on the other side of the tank, i figured they were just antisocial. but mix it with the rest and it seems to fit the bill...
I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Infected fish must immediately be quarantined. Seeing as there is no survival rate, some people choose to euthanasia the fish before they suffer too much.
But at all costs, infected neons MUST be moved away from the others.

For future reference, just so you know, cardinals are hardier and genetically stronger than neons. Though similar, cardinals are less inbred and hence less easily susceptible to disease.

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, im kind of screwed at this point. I dont have a quarantine tank, i can use tank water, an airstone, and a tupperware bowl to watch the one im most concerned about for now.

As far as the ammonia, .25 is really lethal? the rest of my fish, snails and shrimps seem to be thriving. Its jsut the slightest shade off yellow (0) on my liquid test. As ive said, ive tried dosing prime on the tank directly and i dose every water change. idk what else i can do to get rid of it.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, if the fish look sick, dont buy them... or at least if they are in bad conditions buy them for cheaper and put them in quarantine if you really want them, and I mean a real quarantine, AKA 3 months.

Dcchillin said:
Well, im kind of screwed at this point. I dont have a quarantine tank, i can use tank water, an airstone, and a tupperware bowl to watch the one im most concerned about for now.

As far as the ammonia, .25 is really lethal? the rest of my fish, snails and shrimps seem to be thriving. Its jsut the slightest shade off yellow (0) on my liquid test. As ive said, ive tried dosing prime on the tank directly and i dose every water change. idk what else i can do to get rid of it.
If you dosed prime for the whole volume of the tank then there is no ammonia.

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BeanFish said:
Also, if the fish look sick, dont buy them... or at least if they are in bad conditions buy them for cheaper and put them in quarantine if you really want them, and I mean a real quarantine, AKA 3 months.
hindsight is 20/20

BeanFish said:
If you dosed prime for the whole volume of the tank then there is no ammonia.
I did a week or so ago, and i dose the 10 gallons i changed 2 days ago.

Andromeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BeanFish said:
Not buying them would be the smart thing to do. Though there are many who try to 'rescue' these fish by buying them. They have a good heart.

ams083

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dcchillin said:
When i transferred the old media to the tank i watched it cycle over about 3-4 days then even out. No parameters have moved since then accept nitrates, and even that was barely because its pretty heavily planted. i did the change two days ago, ill probably do another tomorrow or fri. give it a week see where im sitting. Im concerned if its ich or not, should i go pick up some medicine?
I don't suspect it to be ich, you would definitely know if you had that.

I agree with the others that it being a diseased batch of fish you have added. I'd go back to where you got them and let them know, ask if anyone else had had an issue.

As stated, there really isn't anything to treat so I wouldn't go wasting money on different medicines.

Two things I always have available to me though are Melafix and Pimafix - have a look at those and decide whether you think it may be beneficial to you. I'll use Melafix when adding new fish or after a water change if I've done a substantial one.

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Andromeda said:
Not buying them would be the smart thing to do. Though there are many who try to 'rescue' these fish by buying them. They have a good heart.
Ya, it was only my second purchase of neons, so i didnt know if it was just the stress of moving or not. Also i thought i had a decent tank so i might be able to bring them back.

As far as removing them, should i take the one that has visible signs only? or should i just remove all 3 remaining?

ams083

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kiks said:
I know people have different experiences with neons. My own experience with them is horrible. Could be something as simple as the 0.25 ppm ammonia killing them. IMO they're not very hardy and can't tolerate any ammonia at all.
Agreed. I'd even go one step further and say tetras I'm general. After most of my tetras got wiped out because of a dodgy batch of neons I decided to stay away from them and keep other species instead.

Andromeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dcchillin said:
Ya, it was only my second purchase of neons, so i didnt know if it was just the stress of moving or not. Also i thought i had a decent tank so i might be able to bring them back.

As far as removing them, should i take the one that has visible signs only? or should i just remove all 3 remaining?
If I were you I would remove them all, keep the clearly sick one separate and the rest in another tank/large container/whatever you can find. We can't be choosy at this point, I'm afraid.
Keep a keen eye on the others for the smallest symptoms. Good luck! I will pray for your fish

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ams083 said:
Agreed. I'd even go one step further and say tetras I'm general. After most of my tetras got wiped out because of a dodgy batch of neons I decided to stay away from them and keep other species instead.
was already considering this :shifty:

Andromeda said:
If I were you I would remove them all, keep the clearly sick one separate and the rest in another tank/large container/whatever you can find. We can't be choosy at this point, I'm afraid.
Keep a keen eye on the others for the smallest symptoms. Good luck! I will pray for your fish
I only have 1 extra air stone, so could i keep the other 2 "healthy" ones in the tank? only other fish are guarami and pleco. theyre not susceptible are they?

Andromeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, they are not susceptible thankfully. Keep them in the tank if you wish but I would suggest frequent water changes and keen observation.
Look, I'll be real with you. The chances are your other two are already infected and just aren't showing the signs yet. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

And in the worst case scenario, if your entire batch does pass away, DO NOT replenish your tank with a fresh batch.

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Andromeda said:
And in the worst case scenario, if your entire batch does pass away, DO NOT replenish your tank with a fresh batch.
At this point, with 7/10 down im assuming the other 3 arent far behind.

As far as not adding more after...Ever? or wait a certain amount of time? or just switch to a different fish?

Andromeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It would be easier on you to switch to another fish altogether for a while if you're planning on restocking.
But I'm not saying you can never have neons again
Just give your tank some time to breathe the disease out entirely. Easier to be patient than to lose more fish.

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
should i just euthanize this single tetra? i feel bad regardless. Hes either sick and going to be alone in a bucket his last few days, or i miss diagnosed and hes going to be alone and stress to death...

Andromeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm really sorry but that's not a decision I can make for you.

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Andromeda said:
I'm really sorry but that's not a decision I can make for you.
Im just asking if it would be an option. I dont want to kill things for no reason, i do care about these animals. I dont want to do it if there is a possibility he'll be ok.

Hes on his own, i did a 25% change, dosed prime for the tank volume as well and cleaned up a bit.

Andromeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Give him a fighting chance. There's always the possibility that we diagnosed him wrong. If it is the disease, he won't suffer for long.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom