Neons Dropping Like Flies - Page 2

  • Thread starter Dcchillin
  • Start date
  • #41

Kiks

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,194
Dcchillin said:
24 hours later, the only one living is the one I removed. Makes me wonder if it was a tank issue, but the one I quarantined is in tank water. I'm at a loss.

Could the guaramI be stressing them to death? every time ive watched he seems to ignore them. idk what else it could be...
If they're all sick and in the same tank, then there's a lot of sickness going on and they're probably stressed, maybe even stressing each other out. The one you removed got a space of its own with nothing stressing it out. Could be the reason why it's still alive.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #42

Dcchillin

Active Member
Member
Messages
258
Kiks said:
If they're all sick and in the same tank, then there's a lot of sickness going on and they're probably stressed, maybe even stressing each other out. The one you removed got a space of its own with nothing stressing it out. Could be the reason why it's still alive.
Ah ok, he doesn't look healthy at all but he's still here for at least a few more hours...
 
  • #43

Kiks

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,194
Dcchillin said:
Ah ok, he doesn't look healthy at all but he's still here for at least a few more hours...
Well, it's definitely not for sure that that's why it's still alive, but could be. I don't remember - have you tried treating them? You could try treating the one that's left.
 
  • #44

bigdreams

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,439
Sorry to hear about the loss. Wanted to point out that true neon tetra disease is a wasting disease... Take months for it to develop and kill the fish. If your fish all died rapidly more like some other tank issue.

Your GH is 13 degrees? That's hard water. Neons need soft water, how did you acclimate them? Stress from a bad acclimation can kill them off over the course of a couple of days.

I also recommend cardinal tetras over neons. But they aren't easier either when introducing them to your tank. Lost 25-50% of them when I first got them (two different batches), but the survivors have been with me almost 9 months now so far so good.

As others pointed out, you went from 2 neons to 8 neons plus a gourami. That probably most likely caused a minI cycle.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #45

Dcchillin

Active Member
Member
Messages
258
bigdreams said:
Sorry to hear about the loss. Wanted to point out that true neon tetra disease is a wasting disease... Take months for it to develop and kill the fish. If your fish all died rapidly more like some other tank issue.

Your GH is 13 degrees? That's hard water. Neons need soft water, how did you acclimate them? Stress from a bad acclimation can kill them off over the course of a couple of days.

I also recommend cardinal tetras over neons. But they aren't easier either when introducing them to your tank. Lost 25-50% of them when I first got them (two different batches), but the survivors have been with me almost 9 months now so far so good.

As others pointed out, you went from 2 neons to 8 neons plus a gourami. That probably most likely caused a minI cycle.
Ya but the parameters didnt change at all. idk after adding guppies 2/4 died over a day as well. Imm acclimating them, floating bag, adding 1/2 cup every 15 min for an hour. I'm at a loss.
 
Top Bottom