Neons Are My Hardiest Fish

MaeKay

In the year I’ve had my tanks up and running, I don’t think I’ve lost a single neon (other than maybe one or two within 24 hours of bringing them home from the store despite drip acclimation).

In the past 3 months we’ve had some trials with our tank and have lost some or most of every kind (cherry barbs, cories, hatchetfish, Rams). But our neons just keep handling everything. It kind of amazes me.

We have 7 and I want to get more but I’m really afraid the new batch will come infected. I do put them in a QT tank for 4+ weeks but I’m still wary.

Albifrons

Well Known
I think the 4+ weeks of quarantine will allow you to keep an eye on them to see with they're infected with anything or have any health issues. Just remember to buy them from reputable sources, and not places like Petco or Petsmart

MaeKay

I think the 4+ weeks of quarantine will allow you to keep an eye on them to see with they're infected with anything or have any health issues. Just remember to buy them from reputable sources, and not places like Petco or Petsmart

The only other place to get fish other than Petco/mart is a fish store an hour and fifteen minutes away. I rarely drive into the city. Oddly, all of my fish are from the big box stores so far. Crazy, huh? The cherry shrimp I got from them several months ago were also super high quality. I’ve been selling the offspring locally because they’re breeding true to the high quality. I use that money to pay for the 75 Gallon Tank upkeep and livestock.

Albifrons

Well Known
Wow! Your Petsmart and Petco must be way different than mine because their fish (especially Petsmart) are pretty low quality. My Petco does an okay job with their fish, but I still always want to have a word with their manager whenever I'm in there.

CanadianJoeh

Well Known
Wow! Your Petsmart and Petco must be way different than mine because their fish (especially Petsmart) are pretty low quality. My Petco does an okay job with their fish, but I still always want to have a word with their manager whenever I'm in there.
When it comes to really any fish store I will deal with the owner or manager exclusively haha

Albifrons

Well Known
When it comes to really any fish store I will deal with the owner or manager exclusively haha
True, very true I’m just glad I’ve got a great lfs only about 30-45 minutes away!

CanadianJoeh

Well Known
True, very true I’m just glad I’ve got a great lfs only about 30-45 minutes away!
You wouldn't believe the luck I may be having in the near future.... There's the first real freshwater fish store in Quebec City opening up 15 mins from where I live, and I'm in need of a weekend job.....

Already spoke to the owner, I'm heading there tomorrow to help him install new tanks and perhaps get the run-down! Seems like I may have a new job come spring..... This won't be good for my addiction. Oh well!

MaeKay

I actually really like the Petco on my end of town (there’s two in our metro area). I know the dedicated fish employees by name. They grill me every time I go to buy a number of fish that wouldn’t be appropriate for a 10 Gallon Tank. I bought 12 glowlight tetras a month ago and she wasn’t going to sell me that many until I told her I had a 75 gallon and put them in a QT tank where I closely monitor the water parameters and then introduce them 3 at a time to my main tank.

Once I had forgotten to bring a water sample when I was returning a dead fish that had died within 24 hours of bringing it home. I told her I did test my water parameters at home (and what they all were) and that I had even drip acclimated them into my QT tank...she stopped me right there and said I had said all the right words and she believed me that I knew what I was doing.

The Petsmart on the other hand...I only buy decorations from there.

Albifrons

Well Known
You wouldn't believe the luck I may be having in the near future.... There's the first real freshwater fish store in Quebec City opening up 15 mins from where I live, and I'm in need of a weekend job.....

Already spoke to the owner, I'm heading there tomorrow to help him install new tanks and perhaps get the run-down! Seems like I may have a new job come spring..... This won't be good for my addiction. Oh well!
I'm jealous, I wish my lfs was in need of employees, but they're full up!

Goldiemom

Well Known
Bought my 6 neon's from Petsmart and only lost one so far. (It's been almost 2 weeks).

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Tropical fish retailers do not breed these fish they are bred in the far east on farms so it may be more to do with what the farms supply than the name of the shop they are bought from.

They may all get them from the same wholesalers but I'm not sure.

Dch48

Well Known
PetSmart here seems okay but I know a lot more than the employees do so that helps. They always have nice healthy fish and my only other option is Walmart and I will not buy a fish from them.

JoeCamaro

Well Known
My Neon Tetras are from PetCo and they are doing great (knock on wood).

However, I lost 2 schools, prior to the one I have now.

I think, as mentioned before, it has to do more with the supplier, aslo the previous conditions rather than the store you get them from.

But I also have to say that one time I went to PetCo and they had mixed the neons with some bigger, more aggressive fish and I saw how they were hunting the neons one by one. I told a employee and he was surprised that they were placed in that tank. He said he was going to move them to another tank, but I can't really tell if he did or not because I had to leave.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
It seems its a gamble whether the neons come with virulent flavobacteriosis (a form of Columnaris) or not.

My LFS confirms that either they are 100% healthy or they lose the lot. The fish are put on sale whether they are healthy or not. The chances are 50/50. I know somebody in the trade who I have confidence in so I trust this info.

I believe they all get them from the same wholesalers who in turn get them from a variety of sources.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
amdpayne
Replies
Views
DavoleBomb
Replies
Views
Goldiemom
Replies
Views
rainlemongrass
Replies
Views
Mubasher

Did You Know...

Back to back posts (made by yourself) in the same thread within 4 hours get merged automatically.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom