Neons and Cardinals Together

1. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

What do you think about having both Neons and Cardinals together. I would love to increase my school of Cardinals but they are going for $4.99 a per fish, while Neons sometimes goes on sale (like right now) at my LFS for .99 cents per fish. Should I get a school of neons as well?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Why don't you ask the LFS if you can swap your Cardinals for Neons, and just do all Neons? I think have the two different sized, same colored fish would look a bit "messy."

3. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

because I love Cardinals over neons :) I only got the Cardinals a while ago when I saw "Sale Cardinals $1" I was just wondering if anyone has done both schools...

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They will not school together - they swim at different levels. If your aquarium info is up to date, you certainly have room for another school.

5. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

Aquarium info is up to date. I haven't bought any new fish for a while, taking my time stocking this tank. In research mode at the moment.

6. Jay-raddd

Jay-raddd Valued Member Member

Neons aren't as hardy and dont live as long as Cardinals.. Or so I've been told.
    So the Cardinals would be a more worth while investment.
    Have you thought of any other tetras ?
    Having 2 schools of different coloured Tetras is quit nice to look at in a tank.

7. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

I have now have a strong army of Neons 20+