Neons Acting Strange, So Worried

1. B

Bluesman77 Valued Member Member

Hey there. I am posting this in the beginner thread because people tend to be a little nicer here then in other topics. I am really worried about my neon tetras and need some advice. My tank has been fully cycled now for about 2 months. I started out with 10 neon tetras (after fishless cycle). Life was great. Slowly added more fish each week. Finally added 6 more neons about 3 weeks ago.

I added the 6 because the original 10 got shy after I added 8 glo tetras. It has taken some time, but the neons seem to be getting back to their playful selves. But I noticed one guy that i thought was dying before my eyes. He would turn on his side, then almost completely over. Then he would go swim and play. He only does this when he gets by the large plant in the center of the tank. His color looks good. I don't notice any white spots ( but I'm the kind of guy who reads about every disease and thinks they have it) I should note that the only recent change I made recently was removing one carbon cartridge and replacing with Purigen. I also added a bag of Matrix.

It breaking my heart thinking I'm not doing all I can for my fish.

Last water change - 4/2
    Ammonia - 0.0
    Nitrites - 0.0
    Nitrates - 20.0 (recently down from 30)
    Ph - 8.0
    Temp 75.0

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Maybe you should try removing the plant and see if that fixes the problem.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

If he is not showing signs of stress I dont think you have anything to worry about. To put your mind at ease, adding purigen and matrix could not have caused anything bad, you cant overdose on them like you can some phosphate removers and such. He sounds like he is just being a goof, fish do weird things sometimes.

You are in the mid-lower temp range for those guys, not that that will hurt anything, I am not expert on temp but I wonder if someone who knows more about it would recommend upping the temp a few degrees?

EDIT: ignore my temp comment, you are right where you should be, wiki lies!

4. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

I don't have experience with Neons yet but am planning on getting them soon so I've been asking for advice as well. Most Neon keepers that I've heard from have said 73° - 74° is best for them.

Hope it's just fishy antics Bluesman77.

5. MaddieTaylah

Neon tetras prefer cooler water so 75f should be ok, if not a little below that. High temperatures for neon tetras will shorten their lifespan.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

75f is the highest temperature neons should be kept at permanently. They are much happier around 72f.

7. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Thats what I get for reffering to wiki... says 70-81F...uhg

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

In the wild their water can reach 80f but this is only for short periods of time in the summer so they shouldn't be kept in water this warm permanently:)

9. OP
    OP
    B

I'm sad to report that I came home to find 13 out of 16 passes

10. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

:emoji_disappointed_relieved: Sorry to hear that they didn't make it. I've been trying to learn what I can about them and there are some who say that Neons have suffered genetic defects due to years of repeated line breeding. This of course would make it difficult for the average fishkeeper to get healthy stock in the first place. It's sad :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

11. OP
    OP
    B

I examined therm before sending them off. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I do believe I have identified Ick on one of my Glo tetras. Beginning treatment tonight

12. MaddieTaylah

Cardinal tetras are a much hardier fish, and they are even prettier than neon tetras IMO.

13. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Neons are sensitive to ph swings. The store I got mine from kept them at a ph of 6, so I had to set my tank up like the lfs and drip acclimate them.

Over the next month or so, I'd top off the tank with treated tap water. Which has a ph of 8.

Now I have them used to my water and can do water changes without stressing them.

I also have my tank temp set at 73*F. I started with 9 neons and still have them all

14. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

How big is the aquarium?

15. OP
    OP
    B

60 gallons

16. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Neons can be tricky. I have had entire schools drop dead for no apparent reason, and others have lived longer than 5 years. We have a school of 20 that is 2 years old. But before that half a school dropped dead.

I agree that the Cardinals are a better choice if you can find them and afford them as they are more costly.